Dimming an overhead projector

Stuart91

I've had a customer enquire about using an overhead projector as part of a theatrical piece.

The problem/challenge is that they are wanting to dim it up and down during the show. This strikes me as being a bad idea, but I promised to look into the possibilities for them.

They've sent me some information on the unit itself. From what I can see, the light source is a pair of low-voltage halogens, 24v 250w, not unlike the kinds found in old-school disco effects. The innards consist of a wire-wound transformer, and a fan which I think is also fed from the low voltage side of the transformer.

It was drilled into me at an early age that you do not dim moonflowers etc. but I suspect that was more down to motors not liking the dimmed mains, rather than the light source itself. I'm not sure that this OHP is that different from 12v birdies, which are fed via transformer and dimmed as a matter of course.

The compromise is perhaps to run it from a switch pack, but I think they're keen to have a gradual fade rather than a snap on/off.

My customers can't be the first people to attempt this. Has anyone come across it before?

I am sure that you used to be able to crossfade carousels? They work in a similar fashion.

Can't it just be turned on and off? The lamp life won't be fantastic but in real life they probably get turned on/off a lot in school lessons.

It will, eventually, trash the motor in the fan in the OHP. It might trash it far enough that it overheats and goes up in smoke.

If I were them I'd look at separating the fan and the lamps inside and providing two power supplies, one dimmed, one constant.

It will, eventually, trash the motor in the fan in the OHP. It might trash it far enough that it overheats and goes up in smoke.

If I were them I'd look at separating the fan and the lamps inside and providing two power supplies, one dimmed, one constant.

+1 to the above. However if it is simply a fade all the way from 0 -100% and back down again and won't be running at reduced power for an extended time I wouldn't worry. Worth checking that the dimmer does indeed go to 100% though and doesn't have a top-set limit. The distortion created by a triac circuit at 100% won't stress the motor unless it is on for many hours at a time.

Edit to add : Check it doesn't have preheat either.

Several years ago I did what Bryson has already suggested and separated the power supplies. The model I had was a portable folding projector with the lamp and fan on a mast above a flat bed. I seem to remember that both the lamp and fan ran off a low voltage supply supplied by a transformer in an enclosure on the base of the unit. I provided a separate permanent low voltage supply to the fan and then fed the transformer (which stillprovided the supply to the lamp) from a dimmer.

Beat me to it.

Archived