Speakers for small venue

BenEdwards

Hi, we are looking for a PA for a small multi function venue venue around 10x15 meters. We are hoping to spend no more than £250 (hopefully £200 we are a community venue). Have been looking at

Mackie Thump http://www.gear4musi...014-Version/ZPR

Sjyrec RC15A http://www.amazon.co...ds=Skytec+RC+PA

The Mackie seem the best option but was wondering what people thought. Not against non active speakers but they seem the best option.

My main concern with the Mackie is they may be a bit loude. We have to keep the noise down to a reasonable level and I I don't trust DJs to be respectful to out neighbours;). Also a bit worried they the base may be a bit too much.

PS just realised The Mackie Thump is a single speaker so looks like it is above budget;(.

Ben

Your budget is rather on the low side for anything decent, although the Behringer B212D isn't bad, and only just over your figure. But there are lots of questions to ask first. What is the application - i.e. what are you providing? Is it just background music? If you have a band come in, their own backline will likely be better and louder than your PA; same goes for DJs etc. Are you connecting anything to these speakers (microphones, mixer etc)? Will they be permanently mounted, or up on stands? Give us a little more detail...

They're BOTH priced per speaker. Your budget simply isn't enough to get two powered cabinets. Two amps and two loudspeakers is pretty good value for £400 really - up until a couple of years ago, a single speaker would have cost nearly that, with no amplifiers inside, meaning a separate amp.

Both of those are typical of the type of thing for a couple of hundred quid each - they're not bad sounding unless you turn them up - when they get a bit painful.

"and I I don't trust DJs to be respectful"

If you book or allow to be booked "a disco" then YOU accept that the sound level inside WILL be LOUD say 105dB for four hours. Don't want loud, don't book disco, don't take the money.

If you need to worry about noise and neighbours why fit speakers of any sort.

£250 isn't enough money to get a PA for anything other than very light background music or for safety type announcements. If you can't get more money don't do it at all. I agree with the comments about DJs - it is unrealistic to expect them to operate at background music levels so don't run Disco's if the venue is sensitive. Nobody here is trying to put a downer on the idea for your venue but you do have to live in the real world.

If you really need speakers then look in somewhere like Richer Sounds, they usually have "last year's model" of most sound kit and would be able to supply something low powered and possibly in budget.

Actually I don't believe that you need to provide speakers or PA in a community hall, DJ's will provide their own, so will drama companies. Remember that you will need a PRS/MCPS licence to play recorded or broadcast music.

"and I I don't trust DJs to be respectful"

If you book or allow to be booked "a disco" then YOU accept that the sound level inside WILL be LOUD say 105dB for four hours. Don't want loud, don't book disco, don't take the money.

If you need to worry about noise and neighbours why fit speakers of any sort.

They are all internal events, we don't charge people to use the venue.

+1 to the Altos, the TS112As are great for the price and will do many things well. OTOH if you need (and can cope with, without annoying the neighbours) loud disco levels then, as suggested above, none of the speakers in your price range will be adequate. However, most DJs will bring their own PA, as will any bands you may have playing so your PA will most likely be for anything from bingo calling and acoustic musicians up to backing tracks for amateur musicals, karaoke the odd kids disco. The Altos will do all this fine. Either way a pair will still cost twice your budget and you will need some kind of mixer and sone mics, stands and cables. I'd say work out exactly what you're going to do with the PA and approach a local PA company or dealer and ask their advice, they may let you try something in the hall for a typical gig then you'll have a better idea what will work and what won't.

Good luck http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Thanks everybody. Managed to get budget up to £400 and are looking at this - http://www.gumtree.c...tem/1089279636.

We do a mixture or showing films, theater and some live music. There will be DJs but no Drum and Base/Techno etc;).

Ben

That may well do the job, (up to kids disco levels I'd have thought, not teenagers though) if it doesn't work out it's definitely worth talking to your local PA hire companies, they may have something on the hire stock which is not getting used and is ready to be moved on. In my experience many (not all mind you :() can be very helpful to local organisations like yours.

Thanks everybody. Managed to get budget up to £400 and are looking at this - http://www.gumtree.c...tem/1089279636.

We do a mixture or showing films, theater and some live music. There will be DJs but no Drum and Base/Techno etc;).

Ben

That may well do the job, (up to kids disco levels I'd have thought, not teenagers though) if it doesn't work out it's definitely worth talking to your local PA hire companies, they may have something on the hire stock which is not getting used and is ready to be moved on. In my experience many (not all mind you :() can be very helpful to local organisations like yours.

Ben

the clearance Auction of the Peavy Wharehouse contents has now finished so you might be able to find some bargains to do what you want from buyers of pallets full of things?

There is a thread over on Speakerplans on this sale:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/peavy-get-rid-of-warehouse-auction-stock_topic89546.html

hope this assists

Mik

without wishing to be a killjoy, you can't just "show films' without proper licencing.

I agree about bands and DJ's bringing their own kit. If noise is an issue that affects the licence ( you do have one?) then fitting a power supply with an "orange" (the bane of bands' lives) may help. This cuts the stage power if a mic detects overloud music. Some pubs had/have them fitted to keep complaints down.

My local pub just has "hi-fi" speakers dotted about so that music is audible everywhere without blowing the socks off the poor sod nearest the speaker. Add a mic for the meat raffle and you're away

Archived