Speakers for small venue

BenEdwards

"I don't trust DJs to be respectful to our neighbours"

In my experience don't assume they will be respectful to the equipment either, a favourite is pushing the amp into clipping so even if it is especially loud, the speaker still get fried

I would keep everything locked away unless you do trust the person concerned.

As a rule of thumb any pro DJs will bring their own kit. If the system is to be used for anything other than background or general pa use id ensure there is a limiter installed to protect the system . Iv known many a fader happy band sound "engineer" drive eveything into clip. And produce more red lights than an Amsterdam side street.

:)

I wouldn't discount the previously mentioned Behringer B212D speakers. They're not that far above your original budget and, in my experience, tick most of your boxes.

I bought a couple of the Behringers back in April for use in a room about the same size as you describe and have been pleasantly surprised. I now use them for more things than I originally planned. They get loud enough in the original room to keep karaoke evenings and school discos happy without stressing themselves and are smooth and clear enough on the mids and highs to do a decent job of vocal and speech reinforcement. They're also light enough that even an arthritic old git like me can carry them and put them up by myself.

Are they d&b or even HK? Nah...but worth a listen if you can find a place to audition them for you.

Archived