New SoundLab Dimmer

TomLyall

Thanks Chris,

This forthcoming ban on certain substances does have wierd side effects. I tried to order a DV back end for a expensive camera that Sony make. A camera that is designed to be mated with either a recorder, or camera control unit or whatever. Sony have scrapped the DV recorder with no replacement as the old one used lead solder and the production line makes enough to last for a couple of years - they can't sell them soon without redesigning the pcbs for lead free solder, and this isn't economic - so they have just abandoned it!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off topic but as a reply to other posts:

With the new RoHS regulations the products can still be used, bought and cold if they are "In The Channel" before the 31st June 2006. By this we interpret this to mean within the EU - regardless of whether it is in the shops, warehouse or with the end user.

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to CPC earlier this week - the soundlab version at less than 40 quid (much less if you have an account and are buying several!) definitely has IEC sockets. It's currently out of stock, expected in late November.

The unit offered by Showtec is the same as the new SoundLAB product - both have (from memory) a captive input/mains lead and two IEC outputs per channel.

The reason for the price difference is simply dueto the Showtec being added to our range some years ago when DMX products where more espensive! Over time you will see the prices be reduced or the range be changed to only offer the one unit.

HTH

Chris @ CPC

The unit offered by Showtec is the same as the new SoundLAB product - both have (from memory) a captive input/mains lead and two IEC outputs per channel.

Chris @ CPC

Chris - good to see some feedback from a supplier (who's not actively (well not obviously!!)) trying to sell products to us! :stagecrew:

That being said, I would be interested in a couple of these units when they arrive - they look to be a nice cheap option for supplying DMX control to a handful of specials on stage. Take last January's panto - I had half a dozen birdies and a couple of practicals inside the permanent cottage build at the back of stage - I ended up using one of the portable (though still fairly bulky) Zero Betapacks - one or two of these could have saved a lot of space & time!

Let us know when they're in stock if you can!

TD

No problem!!!

As well as working at CPC I also get out to play with a great deal of sound and light kit... I find it helps when it comes to the 9-5 work.

Anyway - back to the topic... yes the dimmers are the same!!

The new breed of little DMX dimmers can be very handy for specials or for shows where limited power is available (now manay people have run lights pulled from two ring mains just to get over 30A)

With regards to lookeelikey products - most brands of budget kit available in the UK at present are sourced from only a handful of Chinese manufacturers... hence the resaon why we have had a little confusion over the SoundLAB and Showtec dimmers.

Phew - glad this one is over,

Chris @ CPC

... they look to be a nice cheap option for supplying DMX control to a handful of specials on stage...

They're also quite useful to sit underneath stands. I've just bought a couple of them which I've fitted inside a pair of camera case style flight cases modified to have lift off lids. Inside the case is also an IEC loom which runs up the stand to the t-bar to run four 1k PARs. It means my 'self-operated band kit' is down to just six components - 2 stands, 2 t-bars fitted with P64s and 2 cases with all the dimming and cabling in.

now those dimmers are as cheap as the other soundlab dimmers thats pretty cool... I love CPC great stuff, great catalogue, but the website is aweful..

I've been looking into importing over the last few months or so.. got my first shipment coming over next week ;-) anything people would be interested in seeing cheaper that they think would sell well (lighting/sound related of course)..

rgds

chris

Hey guys, hate to do this but I'm extremely new to the DMX / Lighting scene. I'm trying to build a small PC controlled lighting system and am planning on buying one of these w/a ENTTEC USB controller. I need to know if this controller can simply dim individual channels without applying any specific effects.

Sorry, and thanks.

Thanks, I assume there are no cheaper dimmers, ideally I need 2-4 channels with maybe 5A a channel max and no other features than DMX controlled dimming.

Many thanks for the link but it seems DMX4LINUX doesn't support it properly yet and it's going to be a fun hacking session.

Thanks again for the help :angry:

Dimming really dosen`t come any cheaper, DMX control at the price of an Argos wallplate dimmer, even if you built them yourself, cost of connectors, case, triacs and chokes would add up to more than cost of Soundlab unit, then add the mpu and support logic...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/semitone

May help with Linux=>USB hacks, mebbe not, Linux and USB hardware out of my experience

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-usb

For all things DMX, excellent starting point

http://www.dmx512-online.com

I've been looking into importing over the last few months or so.. got my first shipment coming over next week ;-) anything people would be interested in seeing cheaper that they think would sell well (lighting/sound related of course)..

chris

How about some of the new LED pars (large and small)?

TD

Archived