New SoundLab Dimmer

TomLyall

Just having a look through the new CPC catalogue earlier when I noticed this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/pa...U=DP28550&N=411

At first, it looks very much like a Showtec MultiDim, although this one is rated to 10a/channel and 20a total.

It's also alot cheaper than the MultiDim.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Tom

Also, to me it the sockets don't look at all like IECs. Is this picture just of a different version?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have found a Showtec MultiDim look a like before

http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_inf...ce0db53f491f777

Is that the Botex one? IIRC that one is just a rebadged multidim. The spec is certainly the same. Although I guess this is another one of those mass produced Chinese products bought in and badged accordingly... :headsetsmiley:

What confused me with the Soundlab one on CPC was the difference in spec, and the much lower price.

I can't see any difference between those two dimmers apart from the spec, they are allright if you haven't got a big budget. I would go for the dimmer with the better spec

Personaly I don't like IEC's I would go for 15amp connectors.

Hope this Helps

Chris

As I have said before; Prolight, GLP, Showtec, Soundlab, Electrovision etc etc are all rebadged products.

My opinion is if you can find a cheaper one than the other, go for that!!! :headsetsmiley:

Tom has it spot on; make the products in China, and add the appropiate badge.

Tom has it spot on; make the products in China, and add the appropiate badge.

T'is easier than that - you order them from China and they come with your badge on. Wonder how many you have to order in one go? Blue Room demux anyone???

For example, have a look at the product of Jiaxing XinHuaLi Lighting & Sounding Co., Ltd

I've got a demux and a DMX 4 way isosplit both with different names on but of Chinese origin, and have to say that they are not just value for money but actually pretty fine kit. You can spend a lot more money and not actually get something better.

Also, to me it the sockets don't look at all like IECs. Is this picture just of a different version?

Possibly unshrouded IEC sockets, plugs more vulnerable to working loose than shrouded variety and wont mate with a shrouded line socket `cos shrouded line socket and plug has corners cut off, unshrouded line plug is whole rectangle.

Quite possibly - it'll be made in several different variants. They may have stuck the wrong picture on the webpage. The text certainly says IECs, but those pictures look like US-spec connectors

I've got an account with CPC, and have asked the question. I'll let you know what they say. I've also asked about delivery times, as they have no stock at the moment.

But I suppose that at less than 40 quid per unit, you can't really go wrong....

Bruce.

Hi,

2 things: 1) the connectors are USA style connectors. The picture could just be wrong and we wont know what they come with until someone goes and buys one. If they come with USA style sockets, then chances are these are just imports from America, and completely un-useable, unless someone has 110v lights and a very large 230 to 110v transformer.

Also if u look at the CPC site, the dimmers don't conform to RoHS regs, basically they have parts that aren't considered safe in the UK, much like the behringer dimmers :headsetsmiley:

All in all, these dimmers are pretty much worthless, anyone in the UK who would want to use them couldn't, because of the RoHS non-compliance. And the fact there's a good chance they do come with USA style connectors, pretty much shows why the price is what it is..

If anyone specifically wants to buy these dimmers, best bet's, to email CPC and get some info from them bout these dimmers.

Tom

Also if u look at the CPC site, the dimmers don't conform to RoHS regs, basically they have parts that aren't considered safe in the UK, much like the behringer dimmers :headsetsmiley:

RoHS relates to concentrations of certain chemicals (Lead, mercury, cadmium etc) in the PCBs and components. However, RoHS is not implemented until July 2006. Until then, it's just a "for info".

My understanding is that RoHS, when implemented, will place restrictions on the sale and supply of goods. It won't stop you using goods which have already been purchased.

Bruce.

Also if u look at the CPC site, the dimmers don't conform to RoHS regs, basically they have parts that aren't considered safe in the UK, much like the behringer dimmers :blink:

RoHS relates to concentrations of certain chemicals (Lead, mercury, cadmium etc) in the PCBs and components. However, RoHS is not implemented until July 2006. Until then, it's just a "for info".

My understanding is that RoHS, when implemented, will place restrictions on the sale and supply of goods. It won't stop you using goods which have already been purchased.

Bruce.

Oops, thought RoHS was already in force :headsetsmiley: OK, well I still think that might affect the price, as well as the fact it seems as if its designed for USA use. I mean, who would want to use kit that doesn't conform to a standard, whatever that maybe, I know this is slightly different from the issue with Behringer dimmers, but it sounds similar with regards to use within the UK professionally, IE in places that demand PAT testing etc.

Tom

I mean, who would want to use kit that doesn't conform to a standard, whatever that may be

So come 1st June or whatever, you're going to throw out just about every piece of electrical kit that you own? I don't think so....

Just because the standard changes doesn't make existing kit any more or less safe than it was the previous day.

Bruce.

(ps - according to the dictionary, "Standards" are "Flags that people wave before going into battle.." :headsetsmiley: )

Right enough top pin on socket is horizontal. they`re U.S. style sockets in the photie,IEC would be all vertical.

RoHS is Regulation of Hazardous Substances and along with Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment regulations regard materials unit is made from.It is not a safety certification.

Use of lead based solder being outlawed very soon within Europe, this will include imported equipment. Lead based solder used somewhere in construction common reason for non-RoHS compliance.

Safety certification is another issue, Multidim often referred to as 5A channel, CE marking says 2A channel.

Would think anything company size of CPC offers is suitable for UK market with CE marking.

Thomann for example do the multidim in Schuko and IEC outlet variants.

Also seen Multidim MKII being offered on ebay built in mic and sound to light added.

...basically they have parts that aren't considered safe in the UK, much like the behringer dimmers

Can you give some specific explanation for this please? The list of countries that Behringer wont sell their dimmers to includes both EU and non-EU, and I've been trying to fathom what it is that prevents them selling these boxes in some places but not others.

...USA style connectors. The picture could just be wrong...

Very likely.

I'm reminded of some plug in air freshener advertised here in NZ and the plugs shown in the advert are 110V USA, unlike the actual goods in the supermarket, which last I looked still had a 110V picture on the outside but Aus/NZ standard plugs on the thing itself.

HI Guys,

RoHS regulations do not have anyhting to do with product safety - it is purely as mentioned earlier to do with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances and along with Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment.

We currently display this information against our products to assist customers who may require a RoHS compliant product (design engineers etc)

As for the question on the Behringer dimmers - the problem is to do with mains voltage in the UK and potential problems with the internal components (a quick Blue Room search will reveal the full topic posted som months ago)

SoundLAB Dimmers - This will be the same product as many others on the market... SoundLAB like many other companies are importers and do "brand" standard product available from many of the Far East/Chinese suppliers. (and yes - we are out of stock at present). The observant people have noticed the funny sockets in our image - I apologies for this, we put our catalogue together over 4 months before you receive a copy... the product will be supplied with IEC outlets.

Hope this helps!

Chris Beesley

Product Manager

CPC Plc

Archived