Use of Ponies in Panto: Amateur

did Cinderella last xmas - oh the fun we had

One thing I found is that horses can only walk upstairs - not down - despite a promise from the owner of the lacal pony club that they could ;) . this was due to the way their leg joints work - the owner led the horses up the stairs for the start of tech rehearsal with no probs - we had an interesting time persuading them to go back down again tho - ended up cancelling an afternoon's tech while the chippies built a ramp over the pit as the stalls were the only thing at street level. - the horses threw a complete fit every time they heard our hydraulic lift starting up so we didn't even bother proposing that one to them.

In the end we used a lot of UV, dry Ice and a ropy-looking wooden horse and carriage from the production Co's stores. bit of a disappointment as we already had the faecal matter sweepstake sorted but such is life.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had to find local stables for the ponies for the 3 week run - fortunately one of our crew has a large house with suitable accomodation and was willing to look after them.

Then we had to provide temporary stabling at the theatre, and someone to tend the animals.

Worked on a production at the Westminster Theatre in Victoria with the same deal. A nice old lady with a large detached residence at the end of The Mall agreed to look after them for us. We were all sworn to secrecy and they were walked down to the theatre each day.

• 2 months later...

just wondering how people were getting on with horses for panto? apparently we have a "pyro" trained horse (whatever that means) for cinderella which starts on monday!! :biggrin: buckets and mops at the ready I think!!

good luck to anyone who has a horse on stage aswell!! will also be running sweepstakes at work on who gets mop duty! not me, am board op-ing for the run!! :biggrin: :)

for cinderella which starts on monday!! :biggrin: buckets and mops at the ready I think!!

good luck to anyone who has a horse on stage aswell!! will also be running sweepstakes at work on who gets mop duty! not me, am board op-ing for the run!!

SNAP!

I'm a bit worried about the hydraulic lift tale, as that is currently our planned method of entry and exit...

One of the last times our venue had animals in over Christmas, one of our stage door keepers is reputed to have tried to back a horse in a local turf accountants.

He is still barred...

Everything will be fine, so long as the incident I heard reported from Dundee a few years back isn't repeated...

Apparently everything was going well. The handler had the pony harnessed to the carriage, Cinders was set in the carriage to make her entrance after the transformation. The DSM gave the stand by. The pony had a heart attack and half a tonne of dog meat collapsed on the floor. The weight of the horse falling caused the carriage to pitch forward throwing Cinders into the frame cutting her head as well as other bruises.

I'm not sure what happened after that, but I suspect it involved a rapid dropping of the iron

:)

Glyn

Some licencing authorities (including one near me) now forbid live animals on stage.

Last time I did Cinderella, we had a UV scene flying coach and horse (with Cinders in the coach) - in a hemp house rigged with double purchase and me a and the head flyman on the end of the rope - the only fall-out was the dust off the SR fly-floor when my shoulders hit it on the way down.

As for avoiding live ponies leaving presents for the stage crew, careful timing of their feeding is aparently the secret.

Some licencing authorities (including one near me) now forbid live animals on stage.

Indeed, my local authority are one. We were refused permission to use live horses, so the producer bought 2 fibreglass zebras from a theme park (they were being thrown out, I think!). I'll just repeat that for those who didn't believe me the first time: the producer bought 2 fibreglass zebras from a theme park. We cleaned them up, painted them white, made some alterations to the ears, dressed them up in feathers and a coat, and now they are appearing daily in Cinderella. Here is the proof:

Before:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/JustSomeBloke/zebrascompressed.jpg

After:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/JustSomeBloke/transforamtioncompressed.jpg

P.S. You may notice that, for the purpose of the first photo, we found an alternative use for Cinderella's 9 carrot necklace!

"errol" the horse has just been on stage for his first appearance and NO fallout at all!! all seems to be going fine!! will post some pictures as soon as I get a spare minute!! need to go to makro and buy a couple of boxes of polos I think!! these things can be done providing they are done properly, we have just imposed a rule where there was absolute silence backstage whilst the horse was in the building and it seemed to work fine!! first show tomorrow night!! B-)

the horse has done 2 shows and a rehearsal and there has not been one single problem at all! there was one slight concern last night where there was a small amount of shaving foam on the stage and people were worried the horse might slip on it but all went well!! was speaking to the owners tonight and apparently the horse has worked with disabled children in the past (he is now 22 years old) so is used to having lots of people around!! to anyone else having animals on stage for panto very very good luck to all of you.

the horse has done 2 shows and a rehearsal and there has not been one single problem at all! there was one slight concern last night where there was a small amount of shaving foam on the stage and people were worried the horse might slip on it but all went well!! was speaking to the owners tonight and apparently the horse has worked with disabled children in the past (he is now 22 years old) so is used to having lots of people around!! to anyone else having animals on stage for panto very very good luck to all of you.

Any pictures yet?

• 3 weeks later...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/tivo.../errolhorse.jpg hopefully the above link should work, I will try and get the photos of him in the show at some point, we did 18 perfor,ances and not one single bit of fallout or temper tantrums etc. these things can be done providing you have an excellent stage crew who understand what needs to be done. :)

Archived