What Speaker? (not The Guy At The Lecturn)

mark b

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the job - but I do have a small irrational soft spot for TMS4's

Or anything else blue for that matter....

(Except impacts - they weren't even worth their weight as a stage weight)

From a sparky who makes no pretence at being a 'proper' noise boy, but who can bluff his way around a PA with aplomb and knows enough about sound to know what he likes ..... give me d&b audiotechnic any time! I had a lovely d&b front-of-house system when I was Ch.LX at the Arts in Cambridge ('twas a while ago, so the model numbers are a bit of a blur, but 902's sound familiar, with 402 subs perhaps ...), and I always loved the way it sounded.

Martin Wavefronts are nice too.

For council venue budgets I use two plastic cups on a nice bit of string. Held in place by three cable ties on a traffic cone. Had hoped to upgrade to plastic pint glasses for that iMAC look.

For conference sound I use a Gold rimmed tannoy speakers. Held on a cushion of red velvet by a beefeater in tradtional dress. For speaker cable I use high grade cable from Peru. Hand woven on the highest slopes of the Andies. The gold plating on the speakers doesn't do anything for the sound it's just that I can pass on the cost.

<_< Oh my, oh my, oh...........! What a post to put the cat amongst the pigeons?????? B)

I love the EAW 850's and SB1000 subs!!! Fabtastic!

Smaller boxes such the Nexo PS10 are superb, and I know the true noise boys will winch at this but still a big fan of the Bose 802...... How did Mr Bose get so much bass from 8 x 4" drivers.... the warmth, and natural sound is still amazing after 25-30 since the first one appeared? Great!

Some people will probably already know my love of the Mackie active boxes.... the SA1521 is lovely also!

There you go...... a box for all seasons!

Gone!

I know the true noise boys will winch at this but still a big fan of the Bose 802...... How did Mr Bose get so much bass from 8 x 4" drivers

Look I know I'm probably not a true noise boy but I still can't see what you see in the 802's, "so much base"??????? What bass?

802's are fine for small public adress apps in my opinion as for music... I would not want to da a band using them. Dont like the way that they get "muddy" when you have to eq them hard either. No votes for L'acoustic (arcs or vdosc) supprising. My top tip for anybody looking to spend money, look at Funktion 1. (the ex partners in turbosound re do turbo boxes and make them even butter phoar! Herd them used on the basment jaxx tour a couple of years ago 12 high cabs covered the cambridge corn exchange quite well! quite somthing compared to the number of turbo boxes it takes to do the same in that venue.) My favorites at the moment for conferance/vocal use. Martin audio WT2. A nice tight dispertion lots of poke power wise and lots of room for manouver with the eq in the vocal range nice....

Ali cones in a speaker? That is quite odd! are shure it is not just a coated finish? Paper or kevlar are the two most popular forms of cone. I have heard of speakers with ali voice coils. but not cones. I would think that using ali would reduce the low frequency output, increase the size/weight/ridgidness of the cone susspension. Thus making moving the cone harder (making the long travel of low frequency more difficult). needing a larger ammount of power therefor beefier voice coil with more cooloing. Would be interesting to see a set of polar plots for it. Anybody seen or heard of innerfeild (brighton based sound system) www.innerfeild.co.uk they have a verry cool pa made out of drain pipe!

Look I know I'm probably not a true noise boy but I still can't see what you see in the 802's, "so much base"???????  What bass?

<_< Yes James... so much Bass from an 802!!! Considering there are are opnly 8 x 4" drivers in the box it is quite amazing what sound comes out of them*

* Have had this conversation with many people before about Bose and a lot of people have heard VERY badly set-up and EQ'd systems so assumed Bose are Crap! OK They are not the loudsest box in the world, but side by side with newer boxes ( some cheaper and some more expensive) they can still hold their own.

A few years ago I used to sound design the Xmas show in Brighton at the Gardner Arts Centre - Full range stack SL & SR, 2 Flown in Central Cluster postion - 2 x flown mid way back of auditorium (plus a few front fills) - so very compact - very punchy, very natural sound. Never had so many people commenting how nice the rig sounded for a theatre type show.

I used to work in a 450 seat venue with a pair of 302s and 2 pairs of 802s as the in-house P.A. and it was remarkeably easy to get them to sound not half bad. Wouldn't use them for rock bands, of course, but they always brought their own. PLayback in drama and amplifying mics were never a problem. Youth Theatre musicals worked and pro pantos too. With the right bloke behind the desk, they can be surprisingly good! Of course the choice of speakers always depends a lot on the room they're going in. I did an outdoor Shakespeare in-the-round last month where all I needed was intelligibility and a wide throw. R.G.Jones found me some great boxes which worked a treat, but which I'd never consider bringing into the main house. Horses for courses, as they say.

Archived