What Speaker? (not The Guy At The Lecturn)

mark b

Have had to use 802's outdoors and they work well. I would agree with J.S.B. that the box should reflect the requirements of the room. There are situations where the only way to cover the room evenly is to fly the speakers. That is where 802 fall behind others. Stick em 5mtrs above an audience and struggle to get enough level out of em. The wide dipersion of the cabinets wash a lovely lot of mid around but the high transients suffer and they get muddy. Dont have to use them in large scale as much now thank god. Worst experience was using local av in prague. covering 1200 delegates with four nexo boxes the equivalent of mayer uma1's...... Had to go round the hotel and rob anything speakery and stick them on sticks around the room. not pretty worked quite well though. Oh and front of house was three storys up in a sealed room at the back of the auditorium <_< (blisters by the end of the gig). Monitored via two control 1's that were fed from a sm58 hung in the grid. Not nice for eq lavalier mics from!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok - I appreciate that they do produce more bass than I would expect from 4" drivers but then again I don't know if 4" drivers would be my first choice if I was to design a "full range" speaker.

(And I will admit I have used them to good effect for some uses - it's just they are not always my first choice of speaker.)

But then again I had to sit through a church band run through Rogers LS5/9's the other day

10m sq building - all hard walls V.tall roof 1 per corner pointing at each other.

Oh and the sound guy was happily saying "oh and as you can hear they are just enough for this size of building" (And they were fed from a single quad 405 amplifier originally)

Again I post to find another has appeared....

Monitored via two control 1's that were fed from a sm58 hung in the grid. Not nice for eq lavalier mics from!

OUCH,

how did this work - ring out the room by remote and tweak from monitors?

That does sound horrible.

By alot of running up and down stairs and shouting so that the sm58 in the roof picked up.

Beetween me and the house tech who spoke v good engligh (thank god) we managed.

That was the least of our problems on that gig.

The keynote speaker forgot to get a visa. Essential if you are coming from the US to the Check republic. The client then asked 12 hours b4 show going up "can we do a live link?"

:blink: "yes" comes the reply (with the sound of a cash register opening.!)

Ok sort out the five isdn lines that we need to make a decent real time connection between us and the US, book the satalite, get the guy to a decent vid conferance center.

(23.00 check time) (22.00 uk time) (14.00 us time).

Tie the vid conferance unit into the data projection and swiching system. Then spend two hours trying to get rid of the hum bars on the screens. We have had to run the local check vid conferance unit of local power at the back of the room. (Not only is the local power a differant supply but total out of phase with the heavy mains that we have our distro running off). Vid guys manage to sort it.

Ok One hour b4 show.. show goes up (vid conferance unit checks out ok test was fine he could hear and see us and the delegates, we could hear and see him. nice!... Five mins to vid conferance everybody watching. Time to get our connection to the US. vid con unit works fine vt guys have thier feed I have no audio at the desk.. :blink: :P :o :huh: ... bring the coffe break forward and put the vid con back. 10 mins to find the fault in the 100mtrs of cable in this run.

Not a hope in hell. Cue lateral thinking! One radio mic (spare) + one powered speaker + a small flight case. instant wireless link (of a fasion) chuck the mic and the speaker into the case and gaffer it up patch the mic recever into the desk test it. Step down to anxious rater than frantic/psychotic. :( Cofee ends vid con works all breath a sigh of releif.

Upon investigation realise that the waiters cofee ststion wes right infront of a patch bay(in house).. :** laughs out loud **: .... He had very kindley unpluged all the patches to get his coffee trolly into position. Then put them all back apart from the audio line from the vid con unit! Mainley cos when he took it out he used brute force rather than intalect! The connector had stuck he just yanked harder and pulled the cable from the connector!... (Grrrrr) :angry:

Client was impressed by problem solving skills though and was more than happy with end result. so no harm done!

The moral to the story

1 never use local av when abroad unless it is for dry hire and then never trust the units that you hire always have a backup!

2 never use local power for anything critical.

3 Always check for sabatours and if they are close to one of your paches throw stuff at them!

4 listen to the crazy little voice that says (here is a stupid idea !) they are not always that stupid! :)

Maybe a thread in this best / worst bodges.

Tie the vid conferance unit into the data projection and swiching system. Then spend two hours trying to get rid of the hum bars on the screens.

Humbuckers -

Worth their weight in gold.

Language! you'll get thrown off forum for that! :** laughs out loud **:

I know but all of the ones that we had in stock seem to have either been stolen or were on hire! oh well and the only thing apart from my over stuffed tool box that we bought on this job were set and projection. everything else came from local source. Even the mac's. I dont know the check for humbucker!

I know but all of the ones that we had in stock seem to have either been stolen or were on hire!

Why do they all seem to do that?

(Try taking an OB truck back on the road after a full new body and re- build and see how many are left in it's original service vehicle that has sat (open) on the garage forecourt for a few months...)

we use Meyer UPA1P's for our main house sound and UPA 2P's for the studio and let me tell you kids that you aint never heard anything like it yum yum yum.

however if if I had just won €66 million on the Italian Lottery I would use Nexo GEO everywhere. Even in the car. And the Bath.

ste

Hmmm Mayer... Heavy. But nice. A friend of mine has just sold a load of msl2's (big tall trap cabs , grey furry.) and the subs that go with em. expensive. definatley a ground stack cab Chucked allot of canegreens powered things about in my time. Not nice to build big stacks out of. Uma1 self powerd monitors V nice like them allot. On the same level as LE400's for my money and physically smaller (not lighter). I have worked in a lecture theater 400pax (owned by a big telco) that has c center cluster of 6 msl4's l+r consist of 2msl4,s plus subs! allot of pa for quite a small room. It rocks when turned up though! Upa's are nice grease(touring when I did it, now back in west end) I think had them as side fills. worked well.

• 3 weeks later...

HI

I've not really played with any big rigs, but I thought I'd give some of my own thoughs from the limited knowledge/experience I have.

Bose

802's good for spech, not for bands - even with 302's :)

panaray (big 12" horn loaded system) was awfull and got swapped out for l'acoustic arcs and 218subs - very nice!!!! B-)

Celestion

SR series - terrible "top" end - yuk! :D

EV

sx300, I currently use these with 18" ohm bins - can't wait to get rid of them (the sx300's are all boom and tis!) need something with a flatter responce. :blink:

I generally dont like EV full stop.

Question

has anyone used -

Meyer MTL-4's

any LOGIC kit

d&b kit (please comment)

martin blackline

Concert Systems

PROEL

DAS

EV MTL1 system

I beg to differ -

with the type of events I do - (anuter groups) I like to fly the pa wherever possible... However they often have verry little in lhe form of suitable fly points.

So I end up going for the lightest I can to make sure I keep within my weight limits.

Also It all depends on the operaator - I've seen the mackie rig used realy badly in the past.

James

Archived