Crew Names

Hi,

I need some help, the people at the top have twisted my arm and managed to talk me into running a voluntary student based technical crew in out performance spaces, which, if all goes well should be very good, rewarding and will stop me from having to operate everything, all at once!

the paperwork, RA's etc etc are all out of the way all I'm struggling with is a name for my new band of merry men and women!

it needs to convey what we do, possibly with a clever twist in it?

Any ideas would be great

Cheers in advance Andy

Ha, had a similar scenario at high school a couple of years back when we formed for the first time, a group of students who wanted to do technical stuff for when shows were happening. So we called ourselves the L.X Krew. Ok so it was a bit of a simple name but we loved it! And we even had our own backstage passes with a RBG colour mix diagram as our logo.

** laughs out loud ** ah I'm laughing at it all now.

Students Helping In Theatre?

Ok, perhaps not.

I'm currently part of the Scottish-American Carpentry Crew - we made up T-shirts, gave ourselves nicknames and insignia (stripes, and 'Scottish yin, quiet yin, drunk yin, high-heid-yin'), and the three American guys made themselves kilts to match mine (well, the quality wasn't quite there, but we all turned up in kilts and T-shirts halfway through the opening night party and it went down as well as the free beer!).

At school we're just the technicians (or the Technical Team to give it its full name) and we have the 'technician Hut' AKA the store where we store all of our lanterns/lamps/PA etcetera. We also have coffee, hot chocolate and cup a soups but that's an entirely different story...

Chris

How about...

The Technical Crew.

From my POV, it's always best to portray yourselves as reliable and professional, without needing to hide behind "funny" names. Then you're more likely to get more thanks/payment (Usually in chocolate format if we're talking school students, or beer if college/uni).

I do like the idea of crew ID cards though...

Yeah, start off calling yourself something sensible. Any silly names should be a nick-name, and should develop naturally. Half the humour of a good comedy name is in the story that's attached to it, and you'll probably get a good name soon enough.

ETS? Riggit? They're good names. Oh...they're taken... :huh:

Meanwhile....

Names with a joke in can work, (See: Total Fabrications) but overall, I wouldn't get overexcited about a name. Work with the guys and eventually you'll come up with one.

Archived