capture video from old television broadcast camera

nov

Hi I need some help 

I want to capture video from old television broadcast camera . I loved tv cameras as a 10 year old kid I always wanted one . 30 years later I now have one 🙂 

I would really like to capture the video data without the use of a CCU . looking for something small that would mount on the camera that could possibly save the footage does anyone know if this would be possible ? and what would I need . The camera is a sony ca d50 if anyone has any info on this camera dates etc and how much would one of these cost back then .

thanks

James

IMG-20231123-183214-1.jpg

IMG-20231123-183649-1.jpg

Edited by nov

8 hours ago, nov said:

Hi I need some help 

I want to capture video from old television broadcast camera . I loved tv cameras as a 10 year old kid I always wanted one . 30 years later I now have one 🙂 

I would really like to capture the video data without the use of a CCU . looking for something small that would mount on the camera that could possibly save the footage does anyone know if this would be possible ? and what would I need . The camera is a sony ca d50 if anyone has any info on this camera dates etc and how much would one of these cost back then .

thanks

James

IMG-20231123-183214-1.jpg

IMG-20231123-183649-1.jpg

Google for clearclick, self contained unit 6" x 3" or so I had a 2nd generation version, I believe there is a 3rd. Only issue I found was battery life far too short.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sunray said:

Google for clearclick, self contained unit 6" x 3" or so I had a 2nd generation version, I believe there is a 3rd. Only issue I found was battery life far too short.

So my apology, I started writing about 3 hours ago but phone and family happened in the meantime.

Clicking on Pauls link is a similar looking product which looks smaller and a fair bit lighter.

• Thanks 1

The model number given brings up https://pro.sony/en_GB/products/camera-adaptors/ca-d50--u so CA-D50//U is the camera adaptor (rear part) of the assembly. There is a manual for that part on the above link. As well as composite video, there is a standard definition SDI (serial digital interface) output (these days labelled SD-SDI to separate it from HD-SDI and 3G-SDI, although there is usually backwards compatibility), also on BNC. The SDI signal will be more expensive to capture but better picture quality by not converting to the analogue composite video and back.

This seems to be the whole-system brochure, which should also describe the camera you have (there are several possibilities) https://cvp.com/pdf/sony_dxc-d50.pdf and give some idea of the dates involved.

• Thanks 1

https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/fpv-camera-gimbals/mini-digital-video-recorder-dvr-fpv-racing-drones

https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/powerplay/

I looked into these a year or so back, as someone wanted to “convert” an old cam corder to a usable format so they could edit footage shot on the vintage camera.

I got onto the second one because people who use a truly dreadful audio cassette based kids toy camera for grainy art videos have used them. The camera was a PXL that is sought after, though Lord knows why!

Edited by Dave m
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys much appreciated I will have a look into one of these devices.  I bought the camera of ebay for £93 not including the light battery or shotgun mic.  The Listing title was Sony Broadcast Camera DXC - D35WSP / CA-D50 / Fuji 9.5-152mm / DXF801 

On 11/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, paulears said:

So would I need a bnc to composite cable for this to work ?

I take it there would be no audio can I capture the audio from the xlr shotgun mic I fitted ?

I tried plugging in sony headphones to the rear part of the camera but I do not hear any sound from the shotgun mic ? 

Edited by nov

Bnc to phono cable but the audio is a problem that unit requires line level audio. And the camera mic needs phantom power. Have you checked the menu to see if that is switched in there! You could then use the headphone audio into the audio input if the recorder with a bit of experimentation with levels

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, paulears said:

Bnc to phono cable but the audio is a problem that unit requires line level audio. And the camera mic needs phantom power. Have you checked the menu to see if that is switched in there! You could then use the headphone audio into the audio input if the recorder with a bit of experimentation with levels

I was getting confused with composite and phono I see them cables on amazon thanks . I am still getting my head around all the terminology used . oh thats why it says +48v next to the xlr connector because its a condenser mic so it will prob not work not to worry but will check the menu . am learning ** laughs out loud ** thanks paul .....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I9E1386?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

James.

Edited by nov

You don't get a professional camera mic for £20. This one claims to be stereo & uses a 1.5v battery (is it really what's on the camera?). Connecting it to 48v would produce a small (or not so small) puff of smoke. If this is really what came with the camera check that it has a working battery, but if you want serious sound look for 2nd-hand Rode or Sennheiser camera mics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sandall said:

You don't get a professional camera mic for £20. This one claims to be stereo & uses a 1.5v battery (is it really what's on the camera?). Connecting it to 48v would produce a small (or not so small) puff of smoke. If this is really what came with the camera check that it has a working battery, but if you want serious sound look for 2nd-hand Rode or Sennheiser camera mics.

the camera never came with a mic so I bought this as it was xlr connector and cheap . camera never came with a battery ether so I bought that 12v dc battery . the camera powers up ok. will defo look in to rode or sennheiser . I had a look at a rode shotgun mic there and it had space for a battery inside

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335137841018?epid=1467393483&hash=item4e07c59f7a:g:0ykAAOSwhfhlY3dA&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0MEwx%2FC3CwwOXpLuoK2OhzX6ODqVDt%2BGYWuHb74L0PtW85n7Ur%2BFh5yd7YBtE2TkUDcTdyyGTnSUahQYVNO5kzjpJtYfweQLMgtcSvF2QB%2FNVPSFSVH5eUVE1BzDpkvfoZmE8OCGjT72uLgdW8AuEK%2Bm0WmbhVjGlNxOTP2vQbmjRlYzzWj7MfqB2r8hrv3%2FNCFkOsmNqIJbmvDrPfJxBRsxCIfVV6OxhVYS0QdDoYsAtAgtAa8KpL2Y%2FA96UTR8dkWojDg2wIi69gRk2af0%2F8g%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7LJjJOCYw

, so I thought oh open my one up no space for battery inside ? confused again haha. 

Edited by nov

1 hour ago, nov said:

so I thought oh open my one up no space for battery inside ? confused again haha. 

Mics that quote 1.5v power usually have a button cell or an AA battery somewhere inside. Have you tried unscrewing the mic end from the body?

• Thanks 1