capture video from old television broadcast camera

nov

1 hour ago, sandall said:

Mics that quote 1.5v power usually have a button cell or an AA battery somewhere inside. Have you tried unscrewing the mic end from the body?

I did open the mic up at the bottom part where cable goes in no where for a battery in there . I will open up the other end have a look . 

one of the amazon reviews says It does not have a 1.5 Vcc power supply as indicated, I will send it back and get a rode one thats takes a AA battery . 

IMG-20231127-161332-1.jpg

is this what I would need it takes a AA battery 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335137841018?epid=1467393483&hash=item4e07c59f7a:g:0ykAAOSwhfhlY3dA&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4MEwx%2FC3CwwOXpLuoK2OhzX6ODqVDt%2BGYWuHb74L0PtW85n7Ur%2BFh5yd7YBtE2TkUBmW58bw0nNGvmkkPS%2BZkVLNY3YzfG1q3xgCwqDHlYBk2LAVCxln8lr%2BlW47eTYo2nWC2SQjix0bMtTGlIuoaWjXroyRk4wCd0Z9BGf3geGYZOzRxFAH60fkyy2E9kJfPN3vuMX9hL0jBO0mUgY9DFY7z7YTyZOJPHvTskvDAzmMeBm9vafyJUn8KJQbNLl0W6EFknAPtc91Ve2Qtd88pmOpYDVIlDfNMSDtqQu%2Bw%2F3b|tkp%3ABk9SR-LVr5uCYw

Edited by nov

Hmm. The maker's description should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. As there only appears to be a single wire leaving the mic end (& as 3-pin XLRs only handle mono signals) it can't be stereo. If the actual mic element is at the back of the silver tube it may be a bit directional (if it's at the front it won't be). If there is no battery it expects power from the camera, & would normally be fitted with a mini-jack connector, for use with a consumer camera (XLRs are usually only found on professional & semi-pro cameras), but when I was playing with consumer DV cameras years ago I seem to remember that there was an EU ban on consumer cameras which could take an external mic, to stop professionals using them. 

The bottom line is it won't work with your camera without some sort of interface unit, & if you switch the 48v phantom on you will almost certainly destroy it. Sorry.

E2A: Yes the Rode would be ideal. You can use an AA battery, but the 48v phantom power on the camera should give you more headroom.

Edited by sandall
Addition
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sandall said:

Hmm. The maker's description should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. As there only appears to be a single wire leaving the mic end (& as 3-pin XLRs only handle mono signals) it can't be stereo. If the actual mic element is at the back of the silver tube it may be a bit directional (if it's at the front it won't be). If there is no battery it expects power from the camera, & would normally be fitted with a mini-jack connector, for use with a consumer camera (XLRs are usually only found on professional & semi-pro cameras), but when I was playing with consumer DV cameras years ago I seem to remember that there was an EU ban on consumer cameras which could take an external mic, to stop professionals using them. 

The bottom line is it won't work with your camera without some sort of interface unit, & if you switch the 48v phantom on you will almost certainly destroy it. Sorry.

E2A: Yes the Rode would be ideal. You can use an AA battery, but the 48v phantom power on the camera should give you more headroom.

mmm after thinking about it ive ordered that diginow recording device to capture the video and bnc to phono cable . But the audio is a problem especially trying to capture it from a xlr mic on the camera. if I can get a powered shotgun mic that will connect direct to the diginow ?.

Edited by nov

I would expect the camera to have a mic pre-amp (which supplies the phantom power), & the audio out to be either line-level or switchable mic/line level. To connect a mic to the diginow you would need an external mic amp (lots around from £20).

• Thanks 1

As a side note.... I'm a bit of an 'old camera' geek myself so have also tinkered with tapeless recording.

Many of the cheaper stand-alone capture boxes record at the American 640x480 rather than 728x576. For a VHS capture it's not really noticeable, but it's a chunk smaller for capture direct from a sensible camera.

Something to keep in mind if capture resolution is a thing for you.

I'm not entirely sure how it works with devices that take composite in but claim to record at 720 or 1080 🤔

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 6:11 PM, sleah said:

As a side note.... I'm a bit of an 'old camera' geek myself so have also tinkered with tapeless recording.

Many of the cheaper stand-alone capture boxes record at the American 640x480 rather than 728x576. For a VHS capture it's not really noticeable, but it's a chunk smaller for capture direct from a sensible camera.

Something to keep in mind if capture resolution is a thing for you.

I'm not entirely sure how it works with devices that take composite in but claim to record at 720 or 1080 🤔

yeah that digitnow terrible picture quality ** laughs out loud ** waste of money . think am better trying to grab the data via sdi out ? with this maybe if it will work do you know does sdi do audio aswell ? the picture quality in the view finder seems very sharp and clear  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386264011638?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230811125216%26meid%3D1fa134f47c234309b2519bc9ff3afe2b%26pid%3D101771%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26itm%3D386264011638%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DWatchlistVariantWithMLR&_trksid=p4375194.c101771.m47999&_trkparms=parentrq%3A281f256118c0ac6944f418cbffff4796|pageci%3A543cb5d8-90b1-11ee-8866-62f1476f9b29|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage

Edited by nov

Who knows what these direct-from-China products really do until they arrive. It claims to pass and capture 720x576 at 50p, I guess this is a mal-rendering of 50i (what PAL standard definition signals are) and so it should work. From memory, the Sony adaptor includes audio embedded in the SDI stream - the manual I linked to originally should say definitely what it sends.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Mr Ash. It looks good on paper.... returns policy looks OK if it's proves to be bad.

I can't comment on SDI as I've never knowingly clapped eyes on it 'in the flesh' never mind done anything with it! 😂

• Thanks 1

most of it is working now got a field monitor feelworld cut6s and can record to usb drive good screen . its alot better video quality now 720x576 50i using the sdi output thats possibly the max resolution output unless there is setting in camera ? .  I still have to get a powered shotgun mic but that can wait there not cheap . thanks for all your help guys much appreciated. 

IMG-20231208-014418-1.jpg

** laughs out loud ** at my TV sticker 

IMG-20231206-194215-1.jpg

Edited by nov