Fire proof tinsel

richard

Hi All

I need to find some long (5m ish) lengths of tinsel in various colours for a set, and ideally it would be fire-proof. I had always niavely assumed that in our safety obsessed culture tinsel would be naturally fire proof but it appears not. I have found one supplier of something that seems ok but they only do 2m lengths

I want to avoid trying to flambar other tinsel as I am using it to create a curtain and I think flambar will quickly rub off

Thanks!

Richard

On 11/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, richard said:

Hi All

I need to find some long (5m ish) lengths of tinsel in various colours for a set, and ideally it would be fire-proof. I had always niavely assumed that in our safety obsessed culture tinsel would be naturally fire proof but it appears not. I have found one supplier of something that seems ok but they only do 2m lengths

I want to avoid trying to flambar other tinsel as I am using it to create a curtain and I think flambar will quickly rub off

Thanks!/

Richard

I've done a little search and not a lot comes up.

What sort of 'tinsel are you after, lametta  https://www.showtex.com/en/products/flame-retardant-textiles/string-curtains/slitdrape or garland https://www.thechristmasshop.co.uk/p/red-tinsel? I wonder if it's worth contacting the latter, they may have options.

If this is for hanging vertically, garland is quite easily joined with wraps of wire.

I did get to this page with fire retardant heading but individual items are not so described: https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/fireproof_tinsel

2 hours ago, Jivemaster said:

I remember (I'm old!) tinsel made of aluminium strips, which would have some fire resistance. Modern tinsel is plastic (mylar?) with a fine deposited layer of metal, there is no way to make these fireproof.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, richard said:

FYI for future reference I eventually found a UK company that sell long lengths of fire rated tinsel and are very helpful - festive.co.uk - don't have much on their website but are really helpful when you speak to them

And not a million miles from London too.

Looking good.

Any idea of pricing yet?