M10 wing-screws (70mm length)

Stuart91

Ebay

And I recall the last ones I got for Litedeck (same principle) were from Stage LX.

Also - when you say 70mm length but at least 30mm threaded, do you mean 70mm from end to end incl the butterflies, or just the bolt shank?

Bolts/set screws are usually measured just by the shank length.

🙂

15 hours ago, Ynot said:

Ebay

And I recall the last ones I got for Litedeck (same principle) were from Stage LX.

Also - when you say 70mm length but at least 30mm threaded, do you mean 70mm from end to end incl the butterflies, or just the bolt shank?

Bolts/set screws are usually measured just by the shank length.

🙂

Good point, something I know but it would not occur to me to mention

21 hours ago, Ynot said:

They look like what I need, but are significantly more expensive than the ones Yorkie turned up. Looks like a good option for folks needing just a handful. 

21 hours ago, Ynot said:

Good point. 70mm is just the length of the shank - not including any bolt head or wings. 

The bolts supplied with the deck have an hex-socket head to take an Allen key, and despite being knurled a little are difficult to undo particularly when you are wet, cold, and tired. 

Those bolts are only threaded on the last 30mm of the shank. Everything else I've found seems to be threaded all the way up, although I don't imagine that's going to be a problem. (The holes in the clamps have plenty wriggle room)

From one of the manufacturers they are listed as available with threaded length ranging between 16mm & 80mm:

M10 Wing Screws

Fabory are a master distributor which many of the smaller fastener suppliers buy their stock from, this means that any good fastener supplier should be able to get them in for you, but may be subject to a minimum order of one box. I usually use Margnor in Guildford and they have rarely not been able to source what I have needed.

Margnor

Looks like this is sorted, but my other source for bolts etc. (beyond Zoro and Westfield already mentioned) has been Spalding Fastners, competitive for less than a box quantities (and a useful range of drills, taps etc.). In this case they don't seem to have anything different to Westfield: https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/m10-metric-a2-stainless-steel-wing-bolts-butterfly-screws/

I think cast iron has to be an error, maybe forged but black oxide finish?

I had been about to add Accu Screw to the list of potential suppliers but their off the shelf length for 'wing screws' stops at 60mm in M10 flavour ... and I very much doubt the custom manufacture would be worth their time or your cost!

let us know how you get on with Zoro - we've just started using them recently and had had no issues with the few purchases we had so far made for tools and fixings

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 4:17 PM, TeeJay said:

let us know how you get on with Zoro - we've just started using them recently and had had no issues with the few purchases we had so far made for tools and fixings

The order was delayed twice, but did arrive eventually. It was only last week that I got around to replacing the existing bolts on a sample of clamps, and they've been used on a couple of jobs since then. 

The wing-screws make a big difference, it's much easier to release the clamps in particular. (The bolts tend to tighten if the deck shifts slightly with people's weight on it)

I'm ordering more at the moment, we'll see if they turn up any quicker than last time. Supposedly only a few days for shipping...

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a good few suggested sites to look at here. When I occasionally need a similar clamp bolt, to use without spanners and I have the room for it, I cut the hex head off a long bolt and bend it 90 degrees just above the threads. You can get much more torque than a wing nut, but like I say, you need the room to turn it.

• 2 months later...

An update - 4 months on. 

I bought another batch of deck last week, which came with a load of joiners that have the stock knurled Allen-head bolts. 

Went to buy from Zoro again, and the price for the length required has gone up 8x compared to my previous order. They were looking for £13.99 per piece. 

Emailed to query if the "new" price was a glitch on their website, but no, apparently their supply price has increased by a similar proportion. Meanwhile 60mm or 80mm are the same price as before. 

So for this next batch I've gone to Fabory, who despite being based on the continent seem to be confident that they'll get the shipment to me by Monday or Tuesday next week. We will see... Their price was approx £1.30 per piece so far closer to what I was expecting to pay. 

Fabory delivered on the Monday, and have actually taken the time to follow up on what would probably be a pretty small order for them. Overall I'm very impressed. 

The wing-screws themselves look identical to the ones I bought from Zoro previously, even down to the labels and packaging. 

• Like 1