Mounting 19" rack gear in grid

realshafer

How much kit are we talking? L acoustics have their amp racks that are designed to fly behind the array, at the other end of the scale some DMX buffers have an M10 bolt in them for direct attachment with a half coupler. A very lightweight node may be fine with a pair of rack strips bolted to half couplers, anything bigger I’d look at canford’s truss pods

https://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-RACKS-ES417-Series-19-inch-truss-pods-Wooden

Edited by James Remo
  • Upvote 2

Hi James. That's a super helpful answer. I have 2x 2U multichannel speaker amps that could be mounted together or separately. The Canford pods seem great, although it appears that they only mount in vertical orientation; horizontal fits my needs much better given the limited space between the grid and the ceiling. I can't seem to find the L acoustic amp rack that you're referring to, unless it's these (which don't mention any mounting options): https://www.l-acoustics.com/electronics/#racks.

It only says that they're pre-drilled for vertical mounting. I can't see why you couldn't drill holes in the long face to mount the brackets there. 

Edit: actually I've just thought of one - rack equipment tends to be heavier at the front so you would need to consider the position of the holes depending on what was going in the rack. If the brackets were too far away from the centre of gravity that would impart a rotating moment to the brackets/truss.

Edited by DrV

One thing that I learned 40 years ago was to stick a loaded rack or speaker on a knife edge type device to find the centre of gravity before adding handles. Mainly because Trace Elliot at the time seemed incapable of making speakers that didn’t snap your wrists as soon as you lifted a huge cabinet with centred handles yet a ton of speakers in the front.

what about a very cheap rack mount like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jingchengmei-Disassembled-Cantilever-19-Inch-Equipment-black/dp/B07Z7NYBWX/ref=sr_1_9?adgrpid=129715088074&hvadid=592971290158&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9050362&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8048451452919515302&hvtargid=kwd-309399205614&hydadcr=20053_2217577&keywords=rack%2Bmount%2Bbox&qid=1693299458&sr=8-9&th=1

easily drilled ro accommodate a half coupler and sat on top of a bar?

or a rack sleeve with a ball and socket style projector mount if orientation is tricky?

or bend up a yoke out of mild steel and add a G clamp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulse-Oximeter-4U-Rack-Sleeve/dp/B009H51ZX0/ref=sr_1_112?crid=2R5REZKIVGCEA&keywords=rack+mount+case&qid=1693299756&sprefix=rack+mount+case%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-112

I was going to suggest modd'ing a standard rack. Also, you should really add a spreader plate as the steel can be quite thin. Also beware many racks have removeable sides, tops etc. so may restrict hanging points.

17 hours ago, James Remo said:

I’d look at canford’s truss pods

Made of MDF, so I wouldn't want to hang anything heavier than a cup of tea in one. I think Simon has the answer, but very good point from Dave m about finding the CoG of your load before drilling any holes.

Edited by sandall
  • Upvote 1

Something like this https://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-V-FRAME-19-INCH-WALL-RACK-BRACKETS could potentially have a couple of half-couplers bolted to the top. But think about balance, and you'd also need to think carefully about how you attach safeties.

Ultimately, the question I always ask myself when hanging anything, either temporary or permanent, is "would I be happy for my grandchildren to sit underneath it". 

Maybe a daft question, but does the amp have to go on the grid? If you're short of space in wings or backstage, is a high-level shelf, or a high wall cabinet a possibility?

1 hour ago, sandall said:

Made of MDF, so I wouldn't want to hang anything heavier than a cup of tea in one.

Most of the metal installation racks that I've encountered aren't much better. Very thin steel with just self-tapping screws holding it together. Fine on the deck but I wouldn't want it over anyone's heads. (Especially Bruce's grandchildren)

If getting a rack like this in the air was the only option, I'd use Unistrut top and bottom, sandwiching the rack between them with threaded rod. Then the top of the rods is what attaches to the bar. 

I'd still have concerns about this arrangement, especially in a busy theatre where you have set and lanterns moving around regularly. Site-specific risk assessment required. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1