McCoist in Stitches (Mail) What about the workers?

Junior8

It might be worth taking the opportunity to remind people that the Occupiers Liability Act makes it mandatory for risk assessments to be made covering visitors to the work site ... even if those visitors are trespassers. Part of any such RA, IMO, would include security measures to reduce the risk of trespass/provide a secure work site. 

16 minutes ago, kerry davies said:

Part of any such RA, IMO, would include security measures to reduce the risk of trespass/provide a secure work site. 

I've only been in BBC facilities a handful of times, but there seemed to be quite stringent security in place. I'm guessing the culprit in this incident managed to find a way around it. 

The high profile of TV studios makes them a natural target for protestors and pranksters. It's happened before. (Oh, and then there's these muppets. )

3 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

I've only been in BBC facilities a handful of times, but there seemed to be quite stringent security in place. I'm guessing the culprit in this incident managed to find a way around it. 

The high profile of TV studios makes them a natural target for protestors and pranksters. It's happened before. (Oh, and then there's these muppets. )

I've worked in a number of BBC properties (and independants), some audio/video but mostly for BMS work (Building management system), heating, ventilation etc, etc control and monitoring, subcontracting mostly to a selection of different contractors. I have been issued with a BBC pass which gets activated as required. Once inside I've have phenomial access into most areas/spaces; plantrooms/cable risers for control panels and running cables, TV/radio studios & control rooms/galleries, offices etc for temperature sensors, heating control valves, air duct dampers etc. One venue I had 3 contracts of 3 months or so each and uncountable odd days/weeks. I've had to work round filming schedules/TV & radio broadcasts. My 'work station' has frequently been a camping table and a sack barrow piled with tool boxes and boxes of parts which has rarely been inspected. This has often been left in a space when a show is recorded or broadcast while I have an enforced lunch break. I've booked out big bunches of keys on a regular basis. In all of that time I've only had a member of staff supervise in 3 rooms: the Siemens telephone exchange, standby radio studio in a bunker and an equipment room.

My vehicle has been parked in Holby city and casualty car park and appeared on both and I've accidently appeared in one of those carrying a toolbox.

So as has been said I was working there but with minimal supervision, what I'm saying is I've had so many opportunities to place something in a sensitive place to disrupt and fairly untraceable with the amount of traffic in and out.

Edited by sunray
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

The high profile of TV studios makes them a natural target for protestors and pranksters. It's happened before.

Blimey, back then security was verging on non existant, Working in London for BT we were in and out of all the broadcasting venues dealing with private wires. just turning up with anything with BT or PO such as a tool wallet no 3 or 6 was good enough.

• Downvote 2

22 hours ago, DrV said:
22 hours ago, DrV said:

I don't think we should be discussing holes in the BBC's security on a public forum. Just sayin'

I don't think we should be discussing holes in the BBC's security on a public forum. Just sayin'

Perhaps I should have emphasised

23 hours ago, sunray said:

Once inside

as the operation of getting through the perimiter, without proper cause, is not easy. However once that has been satisfied access on a daily basis is far simpler.

Long term contractors are treated in a fairly similar way to regular staff and very, very, differently to short term contractors.

Other internal security operations like booking out keys etc  is likewise handled with due diligence. Once those procedures have been satisfied and performed, moving around becomes fairly simple.

Edited by sunray

On 1/21/2023 at 6:09 AM, sandall said:

Worth repeating. We all know of cases of lax security, but maybe not something to air on a public forum.

We discussed this over in Modland.  While the principle stands, I don't think this is anything more specific than "look like you belong" which is hardly a well-kept secret.