Suggestions for lightning effect

Hockeybod

On 10/9/2022 at 7:27 PM, gareth said:

Martin Atomic, or equivalent. Particularly the newer LED version - they rock. Best thing for a lightning effect.

I was always a fan of the Dataflash for this sort of thing, but I guess you can't really get them anymore.

My favourite ever rehearsal note I received:  "We need MORE strobes."  We doubled the order.  🙂

• Upvote 1

A xenon Strobe for repeated flashes will likely put out 10 - 20 joules per flash but a typical photo flash head may put out 5000joules per flash -but only one flash every 10 seconds. 

A typical Bowens (etc) studio flash may be found on ebay for little or in the dust in a studio for less since the digital changeover.

I built the unit from scratch with parts from Maplins which would refressh fully in several seconds (from 1988 I can't remember full details) but one of the things I liked, and others thought were a design feature, was the way successive flashes after about a second would not be as bright as not fully charged. A big flash was not as bright as a camera flash gun of the era.

The SFX was just a random selection of thunder claps from local library LP copied onto a 60 second endless loop cassette.

The only other light on the scene was a red pygmy bulb almost under him but very dim disguised as burning embers.

3 hours ago, sandall said:

And probably hundreds of others🙂

I seem to recall at the first theatre I worked in, we had an old Patt flood with three photo flash lamps in, with a control box with three flash buttons, so you could "play" the lightning effect, doubling up flashes to increase brightness etc.

I think the solution to the OPs original question is really split down the pro/amateur line.

For Pro (on a large stage), I'm sure you'd use the "proper gear".

For amateur, I'm sure the most cost effective approach is to use the (cool) white emitters in a number of RGBW (or similar) PARs. Certainly that's what I do, although I do have access to a DMX-controlled Xenon strobe - it's just often it's too much of a faff to rig that unit when there are a load of RGBW PARs already in the rig for other purposes!

As mentioned earlier in the thread, having some sequencing over a number of (say) sidelight units is useful along with a generally darker stage, at least for the "lightning" cues.