1kw Fresnels

Tom

We have some 743s in our (small) stock which are coming to the end of their life and I’m looking to replace with something second hand. They really don’t get much use but are occasionally very useful. 

I’ve seen some used  Selecon Rama 1200w Frenels for not very much. How will they compare?

Or what alternatives  would you suggest worth looking out for. Again, really not wanting (or able) to spend more that £80-100 per unit. 

Thanks hive mind. 
T

• 3 weeks later...

What's the issue with the 743s? The Ramas are OK, but no better and possibly not as good as the 743s. Would a good service and some spare parts be a better option? There are always 743s on ebay, you could possibly buy a couple on there as donors for your existing ones.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, xllx said:

What's the issue with the 743s? The Ramas are OK, but no better and possibly not as good as the 743s. Would a good service and some spare parts be a better option? There are always 743s on ebay, you could possibly buy a couple on there as donors for your existing ones.

Agree with all of the above. 

• Like 1

Daft question, but have you ever serviced/ washed the lenses?

I cleaned a shed load of 743’s and others once and nigh on doubled the light output. I had been taught to clean them in my first theatre job and it’s amazing how many people have filthy lanterns, then moan about dim lighting

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dave m said:

I cleaned a shed load of 743’s and others once and nigh on doubled the light output. 

In the first theatre I worked in, we had an advance bar of 743s over the first row of the audience. The producton desk was only a couple of rows back and in those days pretty much everyone smoked so when I used to do the annual maintenance and dropped the whole rig for cleaning, I reckon we got about 20% more light out of the 6 or 8 over the production desk for about 3 months before they were recoated in nicotine!

Standard practice was to remove the lenses and put them in the glass washer in the bar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2