Simple mic level mixer - maybe wall mounted - simple as possible

TomHoward

I am trying to find if something exists - I am looking for a simple wall box or similar for connection 2-3 dynamic mics and a phone connection (3.5mm or phono), with level control.

It's for a simple mixer for rehearsal rooms, where this will feed into an active speaker, so I just need to control the levels and I can adjust the overall level on the active speaker. (The end user won't be intended to touch the speaker but it might be turned on/off).

I'm trying to replicate the simplicity of the most simple mixer amps, but with active speakers installed. Ideally this could be wall mounted so that the output cabling can be fixed and trunked and can't be unplugged / messed with.

I might end up having to build something with a wall box and a face plate with some pots on it but just want to check if anything is available first.

A cloud mixer with remote input plate would work well for one mic and line inputs. Not sure you'll get anything with multiple mic inputs though - could possibly be Y corded for this basic use, or ?

There are various rackmount options if you could tolerate a small wall mounted rack? It could even be a vertical rack rather than the usual orientation.

Also - consider bluetooth for rehearsal rooms. We're finding we have far less callouts on bluetooth setups vs cabled setups, and a lot of users don't have their own USB-C/lightning to headphone adapters which are a prime candidate for getting lost/broken if you try to stock them yourself. 

With apologies... Shamefull plug; due to retirement.

I have a mono Shure mic mixer available which has not been used for a number of years. I originally installed as part of a training room system with 2 radiomics in a locked rack and in pristine condition when I decommissioned and broke the cabinet open 3 years later. Since then used a handfull of times (certainly less than 10) for 'front ending' real estate auctions.

IIRC 3 or 4 mic I/P + one line. O/P is switchable mic/line. No tone control, LED O/P meter, mains powered.

1/2 width 1U with removeable ears, one small and the other 1/2 rack width.

It's similar to or may be one of these on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304316425578?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANxnb57EtKV0DyBQ2VRPECgVp7wrzNx7nZNQ3rD4HbuZkkRWabRnzeMaAkRrEALw_wcB

These typically come with the short ear as pictured.

These (or the stereo version) were my go to for such installed systems (7 in one london dance studio complex) as they proved to be so long lived and tamper resistant due to the lack of front panel knobs to play with.

Edited by sunray
further info

Thanks for the pointers so far.

The Shure mixer is just about on the money in terms of being the simplest.... however we'd need a couple and ideally be able to buy more in the future which makes being a used item slightly more cumbersome.

The Adastra one is interesting in that the Bluetooth is already built in so you wouldn't need a separate unit for phone connection.

The only other thought I've had this afternoon is if I can use a Eurorack mixer module off a modular synth, and mount it up in a wall box with the connectors to save making the thing from scratch - I'm not sure how the attenuation would work with mic level though

preview.jpg

3 hours ago, TomHoward said:

Thanks for the pointers so far.

The Shure mixer is just about on the money in terms of being the simplest.... however we'd need a couple and ideally be able to buy more in the future which makes being a used item slightly more cumbersome.

The Adastra one is interesting in that the Bluetooth is already built in so you wouldn't need a separate unit for phone connection.

The only other thought I've had this afternoon is if I can use a Eurorack mixer module off a modular synth, and mount it up in a wall box with the connectors to save making the thing from scratch - I'm not sure how the attenuation would work with mic level though

preview.jpg

No... Not for microphones.

This kinda reminds me of those Eagle/TTL/Tandy 4ch mixers with a PP3 battery from the late 60's.

Edited by sunray
Although increasing the value of R4 would give higher attenuation for I/P4

The Shure is a great little mixer (I've installed a few in the past) but not particularly cheap & possibly no longer available. I also have a Rack-Up RU-MX4 mixer from Canford, which is even smaller & neater, but again possibly no longer available.

Yikes, the canford is very neat but a serious price.

Thinking about it further, if we use an active speaker with Bluetooth built in then we can do away with both the line connection and a separate device, so I only really need to combine 2-3 dynamic mic connections to one mic/line level output. Preamp would be better for noise floor but it could be passive attenuation if need be. 

8 minutes ago, TomHoward said:

Yikes, the canford is very neat but a serious price.

Thinking about it further, if we use an active speaker with Bluetooth built in then we can do away with both the line connection and a separate device, so I only really need to combine 2-3 dynamic mic connections to one mic/line level output. Preamp would be better for noise floor but it could be passive attenuation if need be. 

Do you want to do away with controls altogether and leave them with preset levels?

If so there is (hope not was) a range of modules we always called Minimix. About the size of a Swan Vesta matchbox with screw terminals in one long edge and a level pre-set control.

Again I'll say I have at least two  3 I/P pre-amp modules but I don't remember if they ar mic or line level. All that's additionally required is a pair of input sockets in an enclosure 82511-RC - 1-Gang Dual XLR / Speakon / RJ45 Wall Plate Black - Rounded Corners (https://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/82511-rc/2x-xlr-plate-1g-black/dp/AV10924?st=xlr 1 gang plate) and a +&- 15V supply.