Loler checks for lighting and speaker stands.

I agree with Kerry that at the very least they would be covered by PUWER, but I',m not sure why they wouldn't come under LOLER. A wind-up Manfrotto is raising and lowering a load by a non-trivial distance. The definition of lifting equipment in LOLER is very broad and I think it would include a wind-up lighting stand. AC Entertainment include lighting stands as one of the categories of equipment for which they offer LOLER testing.

When I was working in an HE environment, our rigging equipment was included in the overall site's lifting equipment inspection, (which our department didn't have to pay for - so no problem if extra gear got added!). We showed the insurance inspector a pair of Manfrotto 087 stands, and he pronounced them to be lifting equipment and inspected them every year afterwards. 

• Upvote 2

“lifting equipment” means work equipment for lifting or lowering loads and includes its attachments used for anchoring, fixing or supporting it;

I am quite curious as to why people think that they don't meet this definition? Is it like... well I'm only lifting a little bit ? Where do we draw the line between a hand-winch mounted to a manfrotto stand, and a hand-winch which takes a chandelier up to the ceiling? Is it because the lifting equipment only forms part of the device, it is not 'the device'? For me, a Manfrotto wind-up stand is most definitely a piece of work equipment used for lifting and lowering loads.

15 hours ago, dje said:

“lifting equipment” means work equipment for lifting or lowering loads and includes its attachments used for anchoring, fixing or supporting it;

I am quite curious as to why people think that they don't meet this definition? Is it like... well I'm only lifting a little bit ? Where do we draw the line between a hand-winch mounted to a manfrotto stand, and a hand-winch which takes a chandelier up to the ceiling? Is it because the lifting equipment only forms part of the device, it is not 'the device'? For me, a Manfrotto wind-up stand is most definitely a piece of work equipment used for lifting and lowering loads.

Having read the beginning of this thread, while chatting with a colleague on the basis of 'a guy thinks Manfrottos shouldn't be classed as lifting equipment', I was very surprised he had neverthought to get his tested when the chain sets etc are checked.

To me anything with a winch/wire is lifting gear and requires regular inspection/testing if public are involved.

7 hours ago, sunray said:

To me anything with a winch/wire is lifting gear and requires regular inspection/testing if public are involved.

Absolutely. It utilises a mechanical system to raise and lower a load in the workplace. It is lifting equipment by definition. 

I have heard some strange ones too - I met somebody absolutely insistent that manual chain blocks didn't need inspecting because LOLER only applies to electric motors!