Sturdy low footprint mic stand

James

Hi, 

Covid willing I've potentially got a conference coming up in a few months and one of the spaces is a very small hotel function room. The space is apx ~50 sqm and requires a very basic light touch PA (speech only, no music) which should be as low footprint as possible to minimise impact on capacity. Previously when I've worked this room I've rigged a pair of EV S40s on case base mic stands. Acoustically they worked perfectly, visually they were completely unobtrusive and with the cast base stands I was able to get them located discretely against the wall with minimal impact but even so I wasn't 100% convinced with the stability of the stands, with them extended to ~5' high they felt fairly top heavy even with the fairly lightweight small speakers.

Appreciate I'm probably asking for the impossible but can anyone recommend a stand with a low profile base that would be more stable without a significantly higher footprint. It goes without saying that we can't screw into the hotel floor, and this small room has no overhead rigging options. 

James. 

I don't have an answer, but it almost sounds like you need the mic stand equivalent of a tank trap. Could you have one fabricated? It would be a super simple job for somebody. Maybe a tank trap with an off-centre pole, which puts the speaker closer to the wall. 

• Like 1

If you just need to lower the centre of gravity a bit, then would weights designed for gazebo legs help at all? They come in a variety of solid, 'sand' or water filled options. Otherwise, K&M and 'Gravity' make flat-based speaker stands, but the foot-print might still be a bit larger than you'd want.

• Like 1

Gravity make a couple of flat metal plate lighting/speaker stands. Admittedly a 35mm pole is not as svelte as a mic stand, and may need some suitable conversion to mount the speaker, but it is a readily available unit that's low profile and discreet, and is very solid and sturdy. It could also be used with bigger speakers...
image.thumb.png.532f2dd406d160201c8b53fb4519c65b.png

https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-4-pack-pro-round-base-mic-stands_648104.htm?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=generic-shopping&utm_term=&gclid=969f0ba98df41aed3f9e6a74d3db3aeb&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=969f0ba98df41aed3f9e6a74d3db3aeb&utm_content=P - Studiospares 4-Pack Pro Round Base Mic Stands (648104)&gclid=969f0ba98df41aed3f9e6a74d3db3aeb&gclsrc=3p.ds

any good?

a place I used to work at had Keith Monks stands. They went bust I think?

We had banqueting stands that ran either upright or at 45 degrees.

We would use them with Calrecs or AKGs on  goosenecks

I managed to walk away with a few stands after they shut.

A mate's band uses Valtoc(?) stands which are heavy based and adjust without needing two hands

K&M do a XL Mic Stand, which has bigger legs and is generally heavier. Aimed at putting studio mics up high or on booms, but might work well in your setup.

We have some very chunky mic stands that we put genelec monitors on for keyboard monitoring, but I can't remember their make and I've just got the case back in its storage location at the far end of the store - sorry... If their make comes back to me I'll post it.

Sounds silly but one of our discrete jobs had plants in pots which were a 4 foot pole with the greenery trained round it, basically an 18" diameter green column. The C451's were all but invisible and totally stable with the weight of the pot and soil.

Edited by sunray

14 hours ago, Simon Lewis said:

Gravity make a couple of flat metal plate lighting/speaker stands. Admittedly a 35mm pole is not as svelte as a mic stand, and may need some suitable conversion to mount the speaker, but it is a readily available unit that's low profile and discreet, and is very solid and sturdy. It could also be used with bigger speakers...
image.thumb.png.532f2dd406d160201c8b53fb4519c65b.png

I have a pair of these for lighting when I don't want to use a tripod and they are great.     They do a couple of variations - the SSP set with a smaller round base that might suit you and the LS 431 that has the option to fit the pole nearer the sides instead of the centre so you can get it closer to a wall.