Smaller than a 12" speaker

TomHoward

We have EV ZLX12P as our smallest speaker, but sometimes they are too big for some smaller things - often say a fast fold screen and 2x speakers for a presentation rather than a band or anything.

Does anyone have any recommendations of smaller speakers say 8" in a similar kind of "quality" bracket?

I have looked at things like Box Pro:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_dsp_108.htm

(layout on the back looks suspiciously like an EV!)

dB Tech B-Hype:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_b_hype_8.htm

This kind of thing - QSC 8" and similar are nice but overkill

I have a pair of 10" Alto (TS10?) That are small and light and do everything I have asked of them including many presentations, outdoor PA, lightweight disco and a couple of barn dances.

Never heard the 8" version but it seems to get reasonable press.

Held up well against a set of Yamaha 12" boxes recently provided you don't want massive bass.

Does anyone have any recommendations of smaller speakers say 8" in a similar kind of "quality" bracket?

dB Tech B-Hype:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_b_hype_8.htm

I've got a couple of the B-Hype 8s for use in childrens' theatre workshops. They're super light, sound reasonable with pre recorded music and have been, so far, reliable in circumstances where they are often pushed way into limit by inexperienced users. Super cheap too.

Don't know that Achat box, but in a previous job had the 108CXA which I really liked, especially in this package for small presentation use.

Thanks. QSC K8s or similar would be lovely but likely would get wrecked,

We have 8x EV ZLX12P that go out as “cheap and cheerful” (one step above disposable) speakers when we think they might be at risk of rain, damage, overdriving or pinching etc. Problem is sometimes even those are just too big if all is needed is a bit of speech reinforcement, or stage monitors to go with when the EVs are used as an entry-level system for busking or similar.

We’ll quite probably end up buying multiple pairs so cost is quite a factor , and sitting on its side to make a wedge monitor would be nice.

10” obviously would project a bit better than 8” but I’m kind of inclined to go 8” just as we have a stock of 12” available already

Has anyone used the Alto TS308?

Edited by TomHoward