3D Design Software

boatman

I know there are several members on here who do some 3D printing and I want to have a go myself. So I'm looking for recommendations for easy to use free 3D design software.

I don't intend to purchase a 3D printer so ideas for contract printing houses as well please.

tinkercad, https://www.tinkercad.com/ dont get much easier

I don't intend to purchase a 3D printer so ideas for contract printing houses as well please.

you may change your mind when you see how much some print houses quote,I was quoted sevral hundred pound for a fairly simple 200mmx200mmx150mm T shaped box.

Tinkercad, also handy Arduino simulator same site.

Openscad if you can get on with command line drawing.

SketchUp is a pain for 3d printing, it's a surface modeller and things can become non solid on export as 3D model.

Fusion360 for complex creations.

3dhubs.com and treatstock.co.uk for general printing . Shapeways , imaterialise for exotic materials.

3d design is an iterative process, code for multiple versions till final.

Under 200 quid gets those iterations in your hands in hours rather than days.

I'd second and third the suggestion of tinkercad. Once you've got your head around grouping objects, making the grouped object in to a hole, and then using the hole to take a shaped chunk out of another object, it's a piece of cake. As easy as microsoft paint!

With a bit of practice you're able to create incredibly complex shapes just by grouping items together. All of my recent 3d printing projects have been created in it. This includes a lifesize animatronic panda, a replica firearm (revolver, with very accurate modelling, containing an RF remote to trigger sound effects) and much more.

I did my first few prints via 3dhubs just to try it out. Ultimately though with the cost coming down and the quality coming up, you may find a cheap printer becomes a viable option very quickly. I strongly recommend the Anycubic Mega S, which is an incredibly well built machine that comes with a tonne of spares, for around £200 depending on offers etc. Very active Facebook support group too.

I will 4th the recommendation of Tinkercad! Its stupidly simple to use! For printing You will be cheaper long term to buy your own than have someone else do it. You can pick up a Creality Ender 3 V2 for £200-£300 (The printer I have) and print off 5 times the amount vs somewhere like 3DHubs!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We moved from a four bedroom house to a two bedroom flat during the first week of lockdown last year and I don't really have anywhere to keep a 3D printer (no garage, shed or huge walk-in loft any more). However, there is a Men's Shed in the city and I believe they have one. I'll just have to wait for it to reopen.