21st June

Bryson

Hey all,

Just saw that the UK Government is pegging 21st June as the lifting of restrictions. I assume that means that theatres and events can reopen. Do we think a big summer season is in store, or will most places wait until September to be safe? (Ie: hedging against the schedule slipping.).

The wording is no earlier than 21st June, which is far more helpful than previous announcements and at least gives a "don't bother until" date. Limited capacity indoor and outdoor performances from no earlier than 17th May.

I expect that may slip somewhat, but between vaccinations and rapid testing, alongside the natural hot weather related dip seen last year that things may get going over summer. I suspect we are 10 plus years off getting back to March 2020 with the long lasting damage alongside other changes that have happened in the past year impacting the industry and the wider economy.

We always planned for a limited opening at max 30% when we can, and that does look to be the May 17th earliest as above, but whether that can be extended after June 21st remains to be seen.

I have to admit I'm fully expecting that date to slide as we progress.

Whilst the date might slip, I'd like to think that at least some headroom was built into the government's estimate.

The next big question is going to be whether local authorities allow events to go ahead, or decide to play it safe and turn down any licence applications.

Jon's 10yr estimate doesn't really seem overly pessimistic. It's going to be a long road back, but at least we can potentially see a starting point.

Step 3 (no earlier than 17 May) includes capacity limits of 1,000 or 50% indoor, 4,000 or 50% outdoor, and 10,000 or 25% for seated outdoor.

Larger events in step 4 (no earlier than 21 June) will be influenced by the results of an Events Research Programme (point 133 on the document.

Courtesy of the PSA.

The lobbying of government to extend VAT reductions and seek further support continues with an emphasis on next week's budget and it is fairly obvious that Solstice is going to be far from a return to "normal". I too don't expect to see full-on events this Summer, there just isn't time to get everything back up and running.

Hard to tell whether it's relevant, but 21st June is also given as the day for nightclubs to reopen (obviously with no social distancing & probably no masks expected).
It's actually the date they've pencilled in for ALL restrictions to be lifted.

AS LONG AS the data supports the plan. Which colour me the pessimist, I'm not confident we/they'll hit... :(

Whilst the date might slip, I'd like to think that at least some headroom was built into the government's estimate.
The statement was that they need 4 to 5 weeks after the stepped changes to judge whether the next step can go ahead or if they need to delay it. And (as a laymen) I see that as a logical stance to take.

Step 3 (no earlier than 17 May) includes capacity limits of 1,000 or 50% indoor, 4,000 or 50% outdoor, and 10,000 or 25% for seated outdoor.
I'm still trying to figure out how ANY venue can hit 50% capacity whilst maintaining the 1m + distancing. No matter how we cut it we can't get much more than 30%...

All assumptions rely on both the virology safety AND the financial stability of the paying public. I can see that lots of people will have attacks of realism sometime soon, they'd love to party but they haven't worked/been paid for a year so... I'm lucky! I'm having trouble getting my annual leave taken before April.

Sadly I see the possibility of two depressions in the market, first as people realise that zero pay doesn't buy much beer and second as all the landlords and finance institutions want 2020's money paid asap.

Yes some test events are being talked about in may but frankly they feel like set dressing rather than substance; by the time they are completed and reviewed we would be weeks past the expected full unlock date and thus the wrong side of thousands of real world experiences as actual events happen.

Excess mortality in England is 42.3% more than normal. In Wales it is 4.3% higher than normal so why is England in such a rush to put dates before data?

When asked why Wales was being more cautious than England my local AM and Education Minister replied; "Wales is following UK/SAGE scientific guidance." She refused to make any further comment.

We've just decided to cancel one theatre show our band had in June - the venue got in touch and asked if we wanted to still do it with 50%, and frankly, we don't. 70% of 50% won't cover two cars and a van, 5 people and three hotel rooms. And that is assuming a full house - this venue usually runs at around 90% capacity for shows like ours.

Reading and Leeds festival set to go ahead this year in boost for live music.

Organisers say young people are desperate for freedom – but admit they haven’t yet been able to get insurance.

Melvin Benn wants the government to insure the festivals. Never knew Melvin to be that optimistic.

why is England in such a rush to put dates before data?

When asked why Wales was being more cautious than England my local AM and Education Minister replied; "Wales is following UK/SAGE scientific guidance."

ERG headbangers. I'll make no further comment lest I have to moderate myself.

why is England in such a rush to put dates before data?

When asked why Wales was being more cautious than England my local AM and Education Minister replied; "Wales is following UK/SAGE scientific guidance."

ERG headbangers. I'll make no further comment lest I have to moderate myself.

I think they've rebranded as the CRG....