Maplin is back........?

Mixermend

I have been receiving e-mail messages from Maplin recently - so it seems as though the Company is back!

They seem to be selling the same sort of stuff (toys?) - as when they were last around, but on purely a web based set up.

There were occasions when you needed a Neutrik XLR urgently, for example - and could get one from the store, despite it being priced at double that of your usual supplier. So they won't now have that advantage as they are mail order, so I wonder what their new niche actually is?

I have been receiving e-mail messages from Maplin recently - so it seems as though the Company is back!

They seem to be selling the same sort of stuff (toys?) - as when they were last around, but on purely a web based set up.

There were occasions when you needed a Neutrik XLR urgently, for example - and could get one from the store, despite it being priced at double that of your usual supplier. So they won't now have that advantage as they are mail order, so I wonder what their new niche actually is?

They never went away, the mail order service continued 'to clear stock' as the initial emails informed.

Perhaps you underestimate the number of people who find themselves at a loose end and need to source a crap karaoke machine, an overpriced Neutrik XLR and a cheap remote control helicopter and want to save on shipping?

I've tried to find products on their www to no avail. Their www defeated me. The advantage of their stores was being able to shop at three stores within my usual patch at work, and being able to buy things between six and seven pm.

And if course you'd have the fun of trying to get round all three of those stores between 6 and 7pm to pick up the XLR from one, the wire from another, and the solder from the third...!