Covid cleaning mics/phones

Dave m

any ideas about safely cleaning mics used by several people? (24 hours apart)

Obviously an alcohol wipe could be used on several mething like an sm58 and a foam pop filter can be washed. It's more things like tie clip/headsets and headphones

I was thinking a wipe and quarantine?

UV light only effectively cleans the surfaces it directly hits. On something like a microphone with foam inserts, switches, nooks, crannys and internal voids I can't think how you could possibly write a risk-assessment that says buying an expensive gadget that uses an un-vetted process that has multiple easily spotted problems with it is a better risk management choice than dunking a mic into a $10 jug of IPA alcohol?

Also, don't forget to clean / dunk the cables too - they get a lot more touching than you'd think.

UV light only effectively cleans the surfaces it directly hits. On something like a microphone with foam inserts, switches, nooks, crannys and internal voids I can't think how you could possibly write a risk-assessment that says buying an expensive gadget that uses an un-vetted process that has multiple easily spotted problems with it is a better risk management choice than dunking a mic into a $10 jug of IPA alcohol?

Also, don't forget to clean / dunk the cables too - they get a lot more touching than you'd think.

DPA specifically says not to use alcohol on the mic cable as it can destroy the cable jacket.

Mac

I used to have a handheld pressure steamer that I used to clean grilles and foams between gigs. Unfortunately it gave up the ghost a while back and I haven't been able to find a replacement. One of the rehearsal places in town would routinely give the grilles and foam a soak in a mild bleach solution once a week ( pre Covid ), and had previously used Milton Sterilising Fluid. I think it's arguable that there's anything to be gained from sterilizing mic bodies, cables and stands as hypothetical performers and crew should be observing good hand hygiene. I say hypothetical because I'm assuming that nothing much is going to be happening untill there's a vaccine.

As for mics, at the start of this we were in a show using headset mics. We were disinfecting those, and comms headsets, with isopropyl alcohol daily, though I'm aware that continued use of this might negatively affect some plastics and rubber coatings. UVC is good for surfaces, but won't get inside a mic. We could stick to 1 mic / 1 headset per person, and anyone who touches it having to sanitise hands - which is probably the sensible way forwards. If you need to move mics between someone then you either hold it as contaminated for 72 hours or take the wear and tear hit and alcohol sterilise it.

As I work in a major hospital as a main job, it is standard practice for us to clean all devices with a Chlor-Clean solution made up of 1,000 p.p.m. for anything that has come into contact with COVID-19.

This includes mains cables and other plastics. Just remember that the mixed solution is not meant to be kept for more that 24hrs and not use the same cloth from one item to the next so to prevent “double dipping” the cloth there by contaminating the clean solution.

We also use Clinell Wipes as well as a general wipe down clean as well.

There is no reason for either of the above not to be used to help clean any audio equipment as well.

Alcohol wipes made with methylated spirit and paper towel could be a fully functional, rapid drying sanitising method.

Old, dried-out, baby wipes, with your alcohol of choice, make good sanitising wipes (much less absorbent than paper towels or loo paper). I might experiment with Kimwipes or old cotton handkerchiefs when the baby wipes run out.