Preset wall panel DMX

dmxlights

I am sorry if this has been asked before,

I am looking for a preset panel with at lest 8 presets and I can program. there is 3 sets (4 or 6 in each set/group) of led par cans and they all take 8 channels I would like to keep the the sets/groups as they are also used for shows in the same room. I would be like to be able to control the max of 64 channels

I do know that Milford Instruments did one. Then they made a version 2 of it which also could be set to allow to run a chase as well.

Can anyone recommend one or if any of you have the one Milford did as in the 2 version and willing to sell it, I would be willing to take it off your hands.

Thank you

https://interactive-...ts/scenestation are pretty good.

Not sure about UK availability, though.

Or

https://www.pathwayc...es/177-vignette is also a bit more full-featured.

Never tried to do a chase on either, mind....

I've installed the pathway kit a couple of times, which was then commissioned by their agent and there's a bit of a learning curve:

They specify earthed metal back boxes but plastic were supplied [american standard backboxes] in the order from USA and rejected by commissioner.

The little metal connecting pins are fiddly and easily got wrong [and bent but fortunately there are spares].

Positioning the modules so the cover plate fits is fiddly [I think typical of the USA backbox system]. Once pushed fully together they will fit the backbox but are too close to align with the face plate and need to be pulled slighty apart but there is plenty of movement and easily too far apart.

They specify [and supplied] screened cable which I earthed which had to be floating.

They specify heatshrink sleeving on the ends of the cables but I used Hellermann sleeves which had to be changed.

So in a nutshell the wall stations had to be dismantled completely and all connectors removed, supplied backboxes replaced in finished and decorated walls, all cables reterminated. There were something like 50 wall panels.

In later versions they specified cat5 cable but insist brown [black] is used for 0v and blue [red] is used for +24v [belden cable colours shown in brackets]. Yes I had to change that too.

I've not actually seen the kit in use so I can't comment on functionality or suitability. The final look is typical of American electric fittings with too many screws showing.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for that, I have looked it up on my phone after you posted the reply. It looks like what I am after. I will hold out just in case someone else has another suggestion.

I wired up an Anyscene for a local church last night. Extremely easy to use - set the scene you want on the desk, flip a DIP switch to put Anyscene into programme mode, then hold the wanted scene button down for a couple of seconds. When all the scenes are in, put the programme DIP switch back and screw unit to the wall. It fits on top of a standard two gang back plate.

The church has an Anytronics dimmer, so I didn't need a separate power supply, but it's working well with a 12 channel dimmer and then a DMX splitter feeding several dozen non moving LED fixtures.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for that, I have looked it up on my phone after you posted the reply. It looks like what I am after. I will hold out just in case someone else has another suggestion.

I wired up an Anyscene for a local church last night. Extremely easy to use - set the scene you want on the desk, flip a DIP switch to put Anyscene into programme mode, then hold the wanted scene button down for a couple of seconds. When all the scenes are in, put the programme DIP switch back and screw unit to the wall. It fits on top of a standard two gang back plate.

The church has an Anytronics dimmer, so I didn't need a separate power supply, but it's working well with a 12 channel dimmer and then a DMX splitter feeding several dozen non moving LED fixtures.

I've always liked Anytronic Contractor series dimmers, and one of the brilliant features... they're British and answer the phone. Oh yes their wall panels fit British back boxes too biggrin.gif

I've been asked to look into this sort of system though for a smaller rig with fewer scenes required, so the Anyscene 1 looks like it could be ideal (+ Anytronics are pretty local to the venue).

Could I just check that a user, which would often be me, coming into the venue for a more complicated show can simply plug a board into the DMX input on the PSU unit and override anything from the wall panel? Then unplug after the show & everything will revert back to normal? All without touching the PSU.

I'd probably install a pair DMX sockets (in and out), either near the stage, or near where the board usually goes so that the PSU itself can be put somewhere it can't be fiddled with.

Thanks.

I've been asked to look into this sort of system though for a smaller rig with fewer scenes required, so the Anyscene 1 looks like it could be ideal (+ Anytronics are pretty local to the venue).

Could I just check that a user, which would often be me, coming into the venue for a more complicated show can simply plug a board into the DMX input on the PSU unit and override anything from the wall panel? Then unplug after the show & everything will revert back to normal? All without touching the PSU.

I'd probably install a pair DMX sockets (in and out), either near the stage, or near where the board usually goes so that the PSU itself can be put somewhere it can't be fiddled with.

I'd suggest the Anyscene 512 as these can access the whole 512 channels, whereas the Anyscene 1 only does 36 channels.

I've installed the Anyscene 512-5 so the users get 4 presets and an "all off" button.

When the lighting desk is off or not plugged into the DMX line, the Anyscene takes over. As soon as it's on, the Anyscene sees the DMX signal and relinquishes control. This is great for the church we've put this in - staff get a basic lighting controller for the building, but as soon as the more complex lighting desk is switched on by their production people, the Anyscenes don't operate.

Anyscene 512-5:

http://www.anytronics.com/images/anyscene_512_5butt_2x.jpg

Edited by Simon Lewis

Thanks Simon. Good to know it works as I'd hoped.

Stage is to be smartened up all round, and something a little better than the current white lights on or off is wanted.

I've yet to have a detailed meeting to discuss their requirements, but from the very rough brief I have so far, 5 or so RGBW fixtures may be all they need so the 36 channel limit should not be a problem. Though obviously the 512 would give more options in the future if they've got budget for it, and it may well turn out that their ideas are more ambitious than I think.

I'd not seen that 512-5 panel before, so looks as though I should spend a little more time on the Anytronics website.

Anyscene 512-5:

http://www.anytronics.com/images/anyscene_512_5butt_2x.jpg

I have to say, as a piece of industrial design, that's horrific. While I can think of loads of uses for a device like that, I can't imagine many places being happy with sticking that on the wall except in a cupboard where nobody can see it.

Just for a start, why is the LED for each button in a different relative place to the button?!