MultiPlay - New Version In Development

David Duffy

I think if console have its own editor, it communicate with an editor with sysex messages. If you can monitor this messages with software like MIDI OX, you can replicate them in MP.

For example, my M7CL have a three way to control it:

- CC table (user defined)

- NRPN table

- sysex via ethernet (to communicate with editor)

I usually use NRPN method via built-in midi port. But I want to try sysex method to decrease cables count.

Edited by SynthKeyWizard

Sysex is a type of midi message, and while you can send midi over Ethernet, you can also send a whole load more protocols. And once those protocols get clever, with two way handshaking, or detailed knowledge of the internal design of the console, you're not going to be able to recreate that by sending a few packets to a specific address. Reverse engineering the protocol through packet sniffing could turn into a major job in it's own right.

Indeed so. The Si has an app for iOS and Android. I suppose, as James suggests, I could try packet sniffing to reverse engineer the protocol. If it was something with a text basis it might be fruitful, but if it's a binary, proprietary protocol then its probably a fool's errand. The same applies to the Presonus series.

This is where Behringer's popularity has helped, out of the many users a few people put a lot of time in to reverse engineer their OSC control protocol, and published it for the benefit of others. I guess the user base of Soundcraft and Presonus is much smaller so there is less chance of someone doing this.

You would have thought that it would benefit the manufacturers to publish this info themselves as it opens up all sorts of applications for their products. But perhaps they do not want the added support requirements it would bring.

I wonder if soundcraft just supplied the protocol that the tablet apps use.

Edit: it has a note that Soundcraft use HIQNet protocol. That might be a starting point if someone was interested in developing their own functionality. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, Mark, I may have to do some reading myself.

Edited by alistermorton

And I finally was disappointed with Yamaha M7CL external control. I was want to control it via ethernet-midi instead of onboard midi ports to decrease cable count. But it use completely different set of commands to communicate with editor which is not described anywhere. So I'll continue using onboard midi and NRPN messages...

Hi,

I have used MP 2.5.5 a few times for amateur productions, just on sound cues. Yes mp3 is bad in windows 7 so converted it all mp3 to wavs with VLC.

I like it and an looking forward to Version 3

I haven't worked my way through all the posts here but my two main issues were:

1. If a usb 'sound card' interface is lost then Multiplay would lock up, task manager is then used to close it down and then all changes made since last save would be lost.

2. Difficulty in exporting the production to another machine for a backup in a production. If the machines have identical folders for the production all is fine, but could not work out how to use the $MEDIA varaible for when they are different. I ended up using a search / replace of media folder names in the production xml when exporting.

I also find slower , 2 to 3 second, fade ups unsatisfactory. I don't know if its owing to a less than silent environment but the audio always seems late arriving and then comes up in a rush. Don't know what the answer might be.

Keep up the good work, I have been writing Delphi on and off for many years but have stuck to good old version 7 as the fastest to use and most reliable.

Regards