Badly coiled cables

DanSteely

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Must just have been one bad batch of cable. We've still got our old Soundcraft Venue desk with one of those power supplies, and our cable hasn't gone like that. The outer jacket is black, if that makes any difference.

Similarly I not seen this happen on a dozen or so, both black and grey.

As I wrote earlier, I'm not disputing the faulty cable issue, I've simply not encountered it. There seems to be a few now quoting Van Damme admitting the fault, I trust they replaced the faulty lengths.

<br />
Which has obviousely been withdrawn from service when it failed its PAT.
<br />For what reason?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Visual test

Any one using a mains cable in that condition needs their head testing. I'd happily call in the HSE if I saw a big mains cable in that condition being used in a public venue.

Any one using a mains cable in that condition needs their head testing. I'd happily call in the HSE if I saw a big mains cable in that condition being used in a public venue.

As long as it was between 8:30 am and 5pm Monday to Friday, but not until 10am on a Wednesday 'cos that morning is staff training. Oh, and HSE aren't the enforcement authority for theatres or other leisure premises.

I'm still completely lost as to why to would fail a visual test. Damaged cable, worn cable, cable with insulation cracked or compromised, but come on - curly cable is just a pain - I just don't see any electrical danger - the visual inspection surely is not based on if the cable is dirty, or covered in sticky gaffer residue, or has a shape that offends - the visual inspection is looking for faults, and curly cable is a fault that doesn't compromise anything apart from length and convenience. Could be a horrible trip hazard of course, but that isn't a PAT failure.

I'm still completely lost as to why to would fail a visual test. Damaged cable, worn cable, cable with insulation cracked or compromised, but come on - curly cable is just a pain - I just don't see any electrical danger - the visual inspection surely is not based on if the cable is dirty, or covered in sticky gaffer residue, or has a shape that offends - the visual inspection is looking for faults, and curly cable is a fault that doesn't compromise anything apart from length and convenience. Could be a horrible trip hazard of course, but that isn't a PAT failure.

+1. In my previous full time position, I would have considerered such curlyness to have been grounds for 'retiring' a cable, but purely from a 'maintaining percieved standards' point of view, rather than a safety point of view.

+1. In my previous full time position, I would have considerered such curlyness to have been grounds for 'retiring' a cable, but purely from a 'maintaining percieved standards' point of view, rather than a safety point of view.

I think the issue is that this could be an indicator of severe stress to the conductors. Broken strands are very difficult to detect with resistance methods so it possible that your e.g. 6mm flex is now only 1mm in places. Just my £0.02 worth.

Archived