Good wifi routers

J Pearce

I use a Mikrotik for my home router. It does all I want it to and seems pretty solid. The UI for it leaves something to be desired. It is a very powerful and feature rich router, and these are all presented to the user with no wizards or guidance on how to set it up, so it can take a while to get things setup correctly. Also unless things have changed since I last looked in order to add hosts that register via DHCP to the DNS requires a bit of scripting.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the Mikrotik devices look interesting - they all seem to have broadly the same functionality as each other, and even the bare-bones access points have things like DHCP servers.

Some of the access points have high gain directional aerials too, which I guess could be useful for some applications.

+1 for Mikrotik devices. I've used them extensively, and they really are amazing for the price. Basically you choose the hardware based on what you want to do (e.g. wireless, number of ports, SFP etc.), and the software is the same regardless. You can configure them to do *anything* - and I really do mean anything - access point, router, firewall, internet via 4G dongle... right through to ISP-grade features such as MPLS and BGP routing. In my opinion, they blow almost everything out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is that most of the non-enterprise wireless stuff is much of a muchness, and when you get to enterprise stuff, which is a step up terms of capability (especially when the number of concurrent users goes up) and price, there is usually the assumption that you have a full enterprise management system backing it. But there are exceptions, higher performance stuff that does not require an enterprise back end management system.

If whatever you consider buying doesn't have DHCP, one of the lowest cost solutions for that is the all purpose magic networking fixit box, the Ubiquiti ER-X, which is cheap (RRP $59 US), has 5 1GB/Sec ports, which can be switched (fast) or routed (less fast), and it'll run off anything from about 7V to 24V, and it supports the full gamut of networking stuff, and you can even load stuff on there if you need something it doesn't do. And they are reliable.

So could then put a power supply, an ER-X, and something like a Ubiquiti AC Lite AP (which can be configured with an app on a phone or tablet) in a Pelicase, and have a high performance, near-enterprise, portable WiFi setup, that should be a cut above anything you'll get with a consumer brand label on it.

So could then put a power supply, an ER-X, and something like a Ubiquiti AC Lite AP (which can be configured with an app on a phone or tablet) in a Pelicase, and have a high performance, near-enterprise, portable WiFi setup, that should be a cut above anything you'll get with a consumer brand label on it.

This is literally what we do but using a USG over an ER-X.

Thanks all, some leads to follow up.

I'd like to go draytek (it's what I use at home on my needlessly complex network), but possibly a bit too steep.

It's good to hear some real user opinions on the mikrotik stuff, probably the front runner at the moment.

The peli case setup of switch and access point is possible, but we work in such a variety of spaces, some of them very tight for space for extra kit, that I'd like to keep this a small one box system that can sit on top of or behind a desk if needed.

It might be worth you looking at routers than can be reflashed with DD-WRT firmware.

Very configurable and a great user base meaning there is plenty of support for what might be quirky configurations.

Might not completely fit the bill for your needs but definetley worth a look.

This [ubiquiti AP and stuff in Pelicase ] is literally what we do but using a USG over an ER-X.

I was theorising, but you've done it; is it as good as I think it would be as a portable solution? Asking because I might need to do one too!

And do you cloud manage or phone?

This [ubiquiti AP and stuff in Pelicase ] is literally what we do but using a USG over an ER-X.

I was theorising, but you've done it; is it as good as I think it would be as a portable solution? Asking because I might need to do one too!

And do you cloud manage or phone?

We have 2 (now 3) kits that go on expo almost every gig - a USG+switch+2xaccess points, I think the pro ones but they have so many options..

In terms of manage I don't think we do, I can check, but I think that most of the time we plug in the line from the venue and away we go as everything is adopted to the usg.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm looking for a router / AP setup very similar to above, just trying to get my head around the configuration of the Ubiquiti stuff.

Our setup is a small performance arrangement, so it'd be X32 app for the desk, and running Luminair from a 2nd iPad into a wired artnet node, and a couple of wireless artnet nodes - save running cable all around. The setup is usually an X32 and a few LED cans spread around either a large sports hall or barn.

We need decent WIFI sorting out because of the wireless artnet nodes.

The setup usually wouldn't have internet access on site (no need) - hopefully if we pre-configured everything there shouldn't be a need to adjust AP / router settings on site, but not being able to with cloud-managed Ubiquiti does worry me a bit.

Currently I'm looking at buying a Unifi AC Mesh

https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

And a router to go with - either an ER-X mentioned above or a MikroTik HEX or HEX POE

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750r2

Can the Ubiquiti stuff be configured from the iPhone / laptop off when it is offline? The guides seem to suggest logging in with your cloud login on the software - is it configured directly to the unit or is it via the Cloud so won't work offline?

Is the MikroTik stuff also configured with software or do you know if it is done on the router with the usual web-based web page?

I’ve been very happy with the Mikrotik hap ac2 units we’ve bought. Very stable, can handle lots of traffic (2 lots of HD screen sharing plus osc and EOS multi console) and good wifi coverage.

Router and ap all in one, highly configurable, compact, reasonably priced.