Cardboard Storage Boxes

andrewg112

Hi All,

I have become a bit stumbled recently trying to find a specific type of cardboard box.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17MEiH74Gb18m1HC5BioyX6u6gx_ugi20

I can see this may have been made for Paul Mathew specifically, but these must exist out there. I think I am searching for the wrong thing. Maybe these are a bit more specific to theatre, I have seen many a costume hire delivery arrive in these.

I have so far found lots of pallet boxes which are the type of thing but I cant have them attached to a pallet !! Ordinary cardboard boxes just wont be strong enough or last long enough and I'm trying to keep away from pastics.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Andrew

Without a pallet base for mechanical lifting a huge box is simply a lifting hazard ready to cause injury or spill the contents at a critical moment. 25Kilos is enough for one person to lift 50 kilos for two people, after that it's mechanical handling.

Good Morning ...

Thanks for all your replies. I'm glad I have managed to find what they are called .... not so pleased that only the RK Resources (above) seem to be the only place on the internet they are sold. Yes, probably due to a lack of demand for them these days. I'm looking to store prop flowers in them so they are never going to be heavy.

If anyone else knows of any links to buy, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

My roundup on this topic seems to be, I'm pleased we found suppliers of the cardboard box but plastic is much cheaper, I guess that is why there is so much of it in the ocean. I eventually found some prices and is around x9 times more expensive than plastic boxes, can be made to order but minimum quantity of 500 in most cases.

Thanks for all your help, but I know which direction this is heading.

Thanks,

Andrew

Triple (tri) wall cardboard lidded boxes may open up the range, most boxes are single or double wall.

Polypropylene, PP, attached lid containers, ALC, not the crap PolyEthylene, PE, boxes out of B&Q are available in all sorts of sizes and will far outlive cardboard.Several suppliers deal in used boxes and PP is one of the most recyclable plastics.

Or made from recyc plastic already

https://www.plastor.co.uk/attached-lid-containers-plastic-crates/large-containers-with-attached-lids/

I'm reasonably sure that cardboard treated with appropriate fire rating and dampness layers needed to cope with the actual requirements of backstage/theatrical use won't be recyclable and would still have a relatively short life compared to a plastic crate.

We get stacking crates / tea crates from https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/ (they also have an ebay shop with regular offers) and have had 5 years of hassle free use chucking them in and out of lorries without a problem. The Hill Company actually rent crates and associated logistics services to big retail chains but have an online store selling their surplus boxes and regular ebay sales of ex-rental crates that turn up bargains if you don't mind what colour the crates are - https://www.plasticcratecompany.co.uk/

"Really Useful Box" is a pro-sumer brand that you can get at B&Q / Argos but also cheaper from trade suppliers which we have found to be very durable and practical also; 2 years ago we switched all of our workshop storage to RUB's

"Really Useful Box" is a pro-sumer brand that you can get at B&Q / Argos but also cheaper from trade suppliers which we have found to be very durable and practical also; 2 years ago we switched all of our workshop storage to RUB's

The toughest consumer grade boxes I have seen. No longer stocked by B&Q alas

Specifically PP you want, marked in a triangle somewhere on the box, it`s a very tough plastic that can be used as living hinge, constant flexing dosen`t work harden and break it. RUB boxes are PP.

PE is cheaper but it breaks a lot more easily. B&Q`s current range just say `plastic`on website.

Neither stand long term UV exposure well.

Archived