Safety Warning on Powercon True 1

musht

So this “safety announcement” is basically “don’t force it in the wrong way”??? I’ve seen local crew force speakon and old powercon in the wrong way, yet no announcement about them? I did have a bunch of truecon which worked their way loose in the connectors, but I put that down to poor manufacturing, as once tightened up properly the issue didn’t re-occur, and that was on a 3 month arena tour.

No, this is old news? I’m sure I saw something late last year on it at least...?

Not long into a new year...Issue Date: 20.12.2017 but it`s not linked or searchable from Neutriks front page.

Your thinking of the original Powercon which don`t like being hotplugged, hence some places have spent good money replacing them with True 1

Can`t say it instills confidence in Neutrik brand, how many goes are they going to have at a mains connector.

So this “safety announcement” is basically “don’t force it in the wrong way”???

Bit worse than that afraid

A cable connector inserted the wrong way could, in some circumstances, lead to contact between

live wires and the grounding contact in the plug socket.

Edited by musht

Can't believe Neutrik are using the highly un-technical term "plug socket"

Looking at the spelling of 'audible' and some other errors it looks as though they had the work experience kid on the Notices desk that week!

But if you had never changed from the original Powercon... ;-)

I only have a few items with Powercons, probably less that 10.

When I purchaced something with a True 1 I did my usual thing of trying to break it and succeeded far too quickly, I promptly changed it to Powercon. With email approval from the agents as they had already had some kit returned under warranty with failed True 1's.

Personally I have never been a fan of any of these types of connector and changed all my Speakon to XLR back in the 90's due to reliability issues.

To date I've only had one failed Powercon but that was a cable dragged by a vehicle

Can't believe Neutrik are using the highly un-technical term "plug socket"
No worse than 'Jack plug' or 'Jack socket'

Isn't "jack" the name of a type of connector now... I know it didn't start like that but that's how it seems to be used now. If you want to see real confusion over the usage of "jack" just try to find a connector on Farnells website...

Can't believe Neutrik are using the highly un-technical term 'plug socket'
No worse than 'Jack plug' or 'Jack socket'
Isn't 'jack' the name of a type of connector now... I know it didn't start like that but that's how it seems to be used now...

Indeed yes it is now a style of connector, originally there were jack and slipper on telephone switchboards which became jack & plug when they changed connector style and the 2 formats became known as A & B Gauge switchboards. A gauge however is not to be confused with the current term as it bore no resemblance to a 'jack plug'.

In '94 when I left BT jack still meant socket.

Big issue I've encountered with True 1 is that the yellow latch comes off the connector very easily - non-latching AC inputs are never a good idea no matter how much tape and velcro a harried tech applies to them. Interestingly it's the inline connectors that suffer rather than the chassis/surface-mount units on the speakers themselves.

Spent more time and money replacing broken connectors this last month or so (only had them 6-9 months with a set of 4x dB Ingenia IG1T's) than in the whole of the previous year with the 8xEV ZLX12's, 4x QSC K8's, 20x dB T8 and 4 x S30 boxes, all in heavy use with their IEC or blue/gray Powercon connectors.

Yuck.

• 11 months later...