water for weight

Hello all

I have a show coming into my venue in the next month as part of a small festival. They seem a very well together company. They have requested a ton(metric) weight either side at floor level for a tightrope act.

I have been looking at using 1m cubed water basins as this will hold my max limit of 1 ton.

Does anybody know of any issues surrounding the use of such large bodies of water etc. I am refering to health and safety. I obviously have covered the use of electrics in the vicinity/drowning/the crew having their yearly baths B-) etc.

The run of the show lasts only 5 days but are there health issues associated with these volumes of water i.e. diseases etc

cheers in advance

eamon

fro panto last year we had a dancing water fountain on stage and we had to treat the water with chlorine every couple of days. Speak to your local swimming pool or a hot tub company they should be able to give you some advice on keeping the water clean.

Hi

Cheers for the quick answers.

The water is coming from either the tank supply or mains. It all depends on what the plumber has to do to give me two proper hose feeds.

Bleach is a very obvious thing so why didn't I think of it B-)

That is exactly the advice I was seeking. I will also ask the local swimming pool. Don't really wish to put chlorine in but parts per amount etc info would be very handy to know.

It is very unlikely that I will encounter health problems from filling the tanks but I just felt it best to check with those who have done this before!

thanks for the info

eamon

Swimming pools are about pH 7.2 - 7.4 and 2 - 10 parts per million chlorine. They use Hypochlorite ( bleach) or tri-chloro iso-cyanuric acid (more expensive) for chlorine content. A swim pool shop will sell you a test kit -very easy to use. or find someone with a pool and borrow theirs.

Do check that you can get the water out again safely. How are you going to fasten to the water tank?

(I used to be a pool repair diver )

I'll second the Spa/hydrobath thingamy. I've got a temporary pool in the back garden and we have to treat it with anti algae and chlorine and pH balance stuff. You can also get test strips to check the level of ph/chlorine etc .

I'll second the Spa/hydrobath thingamy.  I've got a temporary pool in the back garden and we have to treat it with anti algae and chlorine and pH balance stuff.  You can also get test strips to check the level of ph/chlorine etc .

Argos of all places sell a kit

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK01...tNumber=3652400

Pool Chemical Starter Kit. (cat no. 365/2400) £39.99*.

henny

I wouldn't get too excited about pool ph testing and suchlike - no-one is going to be swimming in it - you're just making sure you're not breeding mosquitos or legionnaires disease!

Bleach will be fine and about £1, I believe!

A couple of jobs ago the place I worked had a water feature in reception. One of the engineer's jobs was to change the water every few months and to add a few drops of the stuff used to sterilise babies bottles - a bleach based product IIRC.

Cheers for all the advice but I think I will go with just the bleach option. The water supply in my venue is clean enough but I obviously am seeking to nullify any possible health risks with having two large units of water on stage. My only problem is how to empty the damn things when done!!

That is what is called delegation B-)

I am going to put the tanks on a 4x4 rostra piece sitting on a couple of spreader boards(8 x 4 mdf or similiar). Then ratchet strap the tank to the rostra. I think I have sourced some good tanks from company who did a production of Singing in the rain last year.

it was either that or nick some 200 odd weights that a venue I know has. They got rid of the few counterweights they had in a re-fit. ouch my back!

thanks for all info

eamon

Water ballast is regularly used for outdoor stages, the water is never treated but the containers are mostly sealed.

I would be more concerned about the floor loading of your stage and the structure of your rostra than starting a Legionaires outbreak.

Archived