water for weight

This may be a silly question but have you looked into getting 2 x 1 tonne rigging points installed in your wings?

Previous place I worked had Barnum in for a week and we had points installed on each side of the stage for the tightrope. Wasn't that expensive and had no problems with getting 2 tonnes of water out of the theatre after the show....

We had a wooden stage resting on concrete floor so the riggers just cut a square out the wooden floor, sunk the points into the concrete, tested them and then afterwards the wooden square dropped back into the hole to cover the points.

Can't remember who installed them but I guess a rigging company like Unusual would be able to point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
whenever water is mentioned for a show I think one thing. *cringe* I was doign a dance show, and they didnt say that the entire cast would be in this swimming pool at one time or another, the stage was drenched, people were slipping left right and centre, and someone slide into a shin buster on some box truss, and knock over one of the crew members, was very funny, but avoid water, if the tank somehow ripped, your comoletely ####ed.

Water ballast is regularly used for outdoor stages, the water is never treated but the containers are mostly sealed.

I would be more concerned about the floor loading of your stage and the structure of your rostra than starting a Legionaires outbreak.

Damn it! Beaten. I'm not too sure where you get them from, but I've seen stages, LED screens, temporary formwork restrained/held down by 1m square water tanks. Positioned when empty if required then filled from a hose. Often have a valve and hose attachment outlet to emable safe draining off.

As mentioned above, I'd be more concerend about the fact you'll have a high imposed load on the floor. Positioning should be easy if empty. Lob in £1 of bleach and I'd say that's good. Also possibly worth marking as not drinking water....

If you have trouble filling or emptying it, try contacting your local fire brigade in advance (and not by ringing 999!). Quite often they may be able to cater for your needs, for a small charitable donation.

The weight on the stage is a very important issue- 1000kg in a square metre is definitely into the realms of "get the actual figure of the stage weighting".

One place worth a try for the kit would be one of the major foam party suppliers. We've had some in in the past with metre-cubed tanks. They have all the necessary pipes for getting water in/out of venues too.

Hi all

many thanks to those who provided valuable and helpful comments regarding water and all.

I have located 2 x tanks and they are being delivered next week. I have a sinkl on stage & will use 2 bog standard hoses to fill. The stage can take the weight no prob but am going to put a spreader board down as well. the tank has it's own crate and is re-enforced. they kindly have put on taps to drain the water out...

Hopefully I won't be the local swimming pool for the week :huh:

cheers

eamon

Archived