Trouble getting a GKV lamp to work in a brand new holder

Nicktaylor

I have modified a Red based Selecon Pacific to take a 600W GKV lamp. I bought a job lot of the bases and want to do some laminate projection. All fine except the lamp wont work. All wiring meters through plus with probes on a meter there is 240v at the socket. I have tried another lamp. Totally at a lose as what to try next.

Look at the lamp pins with a magnifier, is there any burning or pitting evident? Put a low voltage (12 ish say) across the holder and probe for the lamp pins with a meter, you should be able to find where the voltage is blocked from the lamp.

Are you certain that the lamp is good? What was the reason why a Job Lot price was available on the holders? Did they come from a reputable source??

We've got Strand SLs which also take GKV 600W lamps which we love to bits - but getting the lamp to seat properly needs a lot of force, much more than you feel comfortable with especially at the top of a ladder! So check continuity of the holder and continuity of the lamp and if it isn't lighting then check it is seated (you may have to push one to destruction to find out what a properly seated one looks like).

I was at a venue recently changing a lamp in a Pacific which didn't light afterwards despite the lamp looking fine. Then I found out that the bit you take out mates with the main body via a microswitch and somehow I had replaced it (in semi-darkness) so that the switch wasn't closed. I can't remember exactly what was wrong but taking it off and putting it back on fixed it probably more by luck than judgement. People with Pacifics can probably explain better.

Yes as Kevin explained earlier, Pacific’s (old and new)have a smal lump of metal sticking out of the lantern where the burner attaches. The burner has a cut out in the same place with a recessed sprung microswitch. It is possible if you have the burner on at a slight angle to miss the microswitch as you said so that it appears either a lamp or fuse has gone.

Also when testing lamps not in the lantern and just in the burner (which isn’t recommended) then the lamp will only light if something is inserted into the recessed microswitch to turn it on.

I believe all new Selecon lanterns have the same microswitch to avoid the potential for a live lamp base- designed for their schools market I believe.

Edward

You all must have failed your reading test...

"All wiring meters through plus with probes on a meter there is 240v at the socket"

Which would indicate the micro switch is passing current.

My money is on the lamp not fitting the lamp base correctly

Well my thought process was that to probe the holder, for access it would not be installed in the lantern and the micro switch was defeated artificially. Since I've had experience of the micro switch being temperamental, once the lampholder is in the lantern it's feasible the switch is not activated.

Of course poor lampholder contact is also highly likely.

From experience - the lamp may not be pushed far enough in to the lampholder to make contact - it feels as though it's in place but it's not.

We had this issue with the Selecon Acclaim Axial occasionally and it causes a certain amount of bad language, mostly because there's very little surface available to get a decent "purchase" on the lamp to push it home.

It can't really be much else if the lampholders are new - the lamp pins are chunky enough that a few thou out of tolerance won't make a difference but if the pins are just not making contact, you'll get the symptom you're having.

Those lamp holders are a pain in the rear! I've even cracked a couple of (already expired) lamps trying to remove them. If you have a working lantern nearby, have a look at how far the lamp needs to be inserted. There's a bit of an art (and some colourful language) required to get them in.

Turns out one holder of the two bought is US. It looks like the metal contact in the ceramic on one pin is not in place properly. Ironically I bought the new bases a few years ago. Actually I only wanted one but it was such a good price I bought the six going. My aim is to modify four bases for my units that I can then use with laminate type work.

I must say I thought I was buying blue bases at the time but never got round t checking until months after buying them!

From experience - the lamp may not be pushed far enough in to the lampholder to make contact - it feels as though it's in place but it's not.

We had this issue with the Selecon Acclaim Axial occasionally and it causes a certain amount of bad language, mostly because there's very little surface available to get a decent "purchase" on the lamp to push it home.

It can't really be much else if the lampholders are new - the lamp pins are chunky enough that a few thou out of tolerance won't make a difference but if the pins are just not making contact, you'll get the symptom you're having.

This is what has happened

Archived