When the talent misbehaves... (Marilyn Manson story)

timsabre

I was just reading the story about Marilyn Manson being injured by a piece of the stage set he apparently tried to climb on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41467678

It made me think of a few times when the performers have done something unexpected, and how far do you go to protect them from themselves?

Last night I was doing a show with truss towers on the back of the stage, on proper heavy bases, but if someone had suddenly taken it into their heads to climb them I think it would be possible to pull them over.

And I was doing lights for a show once when the lead singer decided to climb onto the speaker stacks which were on the front corners of the stage. Having got up there he realised it was a bit higher than he expected and we had to stop the show while we got a ladder to help him down again.

We often think of protecting structures in the audience from being climbed but how far do you go to protect the stage against the performers?

The Boss used to climb the stack at the side of the stage, pour a couple of pints of water on his jeans then run down and do a knee slide like a footballer. The stack was built specially for the stunt, the flooring was laid especially shiny and I can't ever remember hearing of a problem.

Like everything stupid and dangerous, it can be done but never ad hoc. Things need planning. Even naked chainsaw juggling can be managed but the key word is "managed".

Fortunately Otway leant his lesson and never does anything silly these days.....http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcpCqYGVSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1puE18zWLRs

Actually, got a gig with him in a tiny place early next year - I've been thinking about managing the risks already.

At reading festival John Otway climbed onto a foldback cab and slid down the sloped front, ending up in the pit in front of the stage.A not very glamorous climb followed.

Name drop time? A mate of mine was hired to do an Otway tour playing bass. The first night they had scaff along the sides of the stage so John got the lead and bass players up there. "And when I come out you guys do a power chord and jump to the stage." Mate jumps, falls to the deck with painful feet and did the rest of the tour sitting down before X-rays showed he had broken both ankles.

We had a comedian a couple of months back who, whilst talking to someone in the balcony, decided he wanted to get closer to them so clambered up the side fill and on to the front edge of the balcony and then proceeded to edge his way along the front of the balcony. Then realised that getting down again wasn't quite so easy, necessitating some assistance. It's not just the rock 'n' rollers!

I did sound for for a 10 day run of a well known 'Starr' turn comedian back in 1973, he did the stepladder trick near the front of the stage to get to a heckler in the balcony. Trouble was the ladder wasn't tall enough, standing on the very top it started wobbling and he slid down the other side of it landing on his bum on the floor, in front of the stage with his legs on the backs of empty seats. St John spent 20 minutes patching up the damage. In the midst of all that the mic cable got caught in the metal steps and ripped open along a few metres, guess who got the blame for the additional 10 minutes or so it took to botch a replacement mic cable together before the show could restart, they even tried to dock my fee. In the same place a rock band decided to place stage blocks for the drum kit on the piano lift (in the middle of the stage) to make a drum solo entrance. As it was rising the lead singer decided to join him (from under the stage) and jumped onto the lift, slipping he slid into the block, pushing it sideways and it got crushed. What the audience saw was the drummers head and cymbals rising which then collapsed sideways, then the resulting carnage appeared with the singer flat on his back calling for help having hurt his back.

Archived