BBC broadcast lapel Mics

fohjoey

Have you been doing them the wrong way all this time?

Only joking. I asked the same question a while back. The capsules are omnidirectional so work any way.

I now do it all the time, and it looks like I know what I'm doing because the Bbc do it.

I'm sure there will be a better answer along any minute

It also helps with cable management.

It can have a minimal effect on breath 'pops', but the other reason is that it generally makes the cable easier to dress neatly; the cable naturally falls into an inverted 'u' shape as it exits the mic and it's simple to catch it in the mic clip behind the clothing.

My understanding was that it helps to reduce the amount of variation in signal level as the wearer moves their head.

Nick

The only way to do that is to mount the mic centrally on the body, e.g. on a tie rather than on a lapel.

My understanding was that it helps to reduce the amount of variation in signal level as the wearer moves their head.

Nick

The only way to do that is to mount the mic centrally on the body, e.g. on a tie rather than on a lapel.

Or as I have seen done once on stage, to apply the mic on the forehead under the hail line.

If you look down, and cough - or sneeze, it sounds worse. That's it. If it stops one nasty blast or serious pop, then it's worth doing. That's the only reason from the technical viewpoint, but the fall of the cables it doubles back also has a small effect as said above. So that's why they do it.

It can have a minimal effect on breath 'pops', but the other reason is that it generally makes the cable easier to dress neatly; the cable naturally falls into an inverted 'u' shape as it exits the mic and it's simple to catch it in the mic clip behind the clothing.

^^^^^^^This. Try putting a clip on lav on a tie or lapel the "right way up" and you'll quickly see the problem with the cable. In the real world there's little or no difference in terms of reducing breath noise or whatever.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

With most omni capsules, there is a small reduction in sensitivity at 180 degrees due to the shadowing effect of the capsule - so what would otherwise be a theoretical omni response does become slightly directional at higher frequencies. This can helps reduce problems with sibilence.

This effect is dependent upon capsule diameter, so the miniature designs often used now may not exhibit this to a great extent, so the upside down mounting is probably more cosmetic than technical ....

Archived