Speaking of ladders....

sleah

It says quite clearly 'new health and safety regulations' that lovely catch all statement which gives H&S a bad name while meaning absolutely nothing. Do we think the church has done a risk assessment and decided that they should find a safer way of lighting their candles. But rather than saying 'we have decided it may not be safe' they have ended up with a very large free advert for their campaign to raise money to install winches.

Hmm.. interesting - Pully is apparently a municipality in Switzerland. Can't see how that's going to help them light their candles, but it might hint at where they're going to stash the money they raise.

Well, let's see if they're willing to clarify their rather vague and lazy reporting ...

I asked the Vicar's PA (I think that's kinda the right title!) and she said the newspaper article was the first she'd heard....

Please could we steer away from turning this in to a church-bashing thread, I am interested if people have heard of such things being imposed on ladder use etc etc, I'm especially interested as a Zarges user myself, let's keep the anti-church rants to the crew room... Not that I can speak about taking things off-topic!! ** laughs out loud **

the "allowed height" is 9 foot? ( for his feet?)

he is 6 foot?

add 2 foot if he raises and arm?

17 foot if he uses a match.

Buy a 4 foot taper/snuffer/pole.

Ok so not industrial but I bought a Lidl/Aldi electric winch for my garage for £50.

Once they fit winched they will have to have everything inspected at a higher cost than a new ladder/work platform

the "allowed height" is 9 foot? ( for his feet?)

he is 6 foot?

add 2 foot if he raises and arm?

17 foot if he uses a match.

Buy a 4 foot taper/snuffer/pole.

Ok so not industrial but I bought a Lidl/Aldi electric winch for my garage for £50.

Once they fit winched they will have to have everything inspected at a higher cost than a new ladder/work platform

If what's reported truely is a 'thing', then it's an interesting problem to solve.

Actually the snuffer pole is used from the floor, great watching it being used and the lovely smell of recently put out candles :rolleyes:

The candelabras are a serious bit of kit, so yes there will be an ongoing inspection cost beyond what I imagine they currently do. The current chains and fastening could probably hold the church up on their own. After all, they were put in when they knew how to do stuff B-)

I'd assume new ladders are out, although I did wonder if the imposition was on the 'current' ladder, rather than ALL ladders?

The problem with other type of platform will be physically moving it round meaning they would probably have to keep moving chairs, plus of course where to store it, there isn't many obvious places on the same level.

Are there 'portable' type platforms that could be used at that type of height? :unsure:

I know you camn get some that fold up and can be put in the back of a car, so could be stored anywhere.

a small tallescope would possibly work but a pain if the seats have to be used.

I use TV focussing poles that easily do 20 feet but it is an acquired art as the end wobbles worse than Oliver Reed needing a drink

This will be a rule imposed by the CofE insurers who have great difficulty with the concept that mostly everyone in a church (apart from the vicar) is a volunteer rather than an employee, and therefore must be assumed to be a dodgy DIY practitioner.

Basically they are trying to get to a position where everyone who does anything in a church is a contractor covered by someone else's insurance so they aren't liable.

Been involved in a similar situation at my church but after much discussion and generation of risk assessments the insurance company eventually backed off.

This will be a rule imposed by the CofE insurers who have great difficulty with the concept that mostly everyone in a church (apart from the vicar) is a volunteer rather than an employee, and therefore must be assumed to be a dodgy DIY practitioner.

Basically they are trying to get to a position where everyone who does anything in a church is a contractor covered by someone else's insurance so they aren't liable.

Been involved in a similar situation at my church but after much discussion and generation of risk assessments the insurance company eventually backed off.

This is my gut feeling too.

I've emailed the vicar who's an aquaintance/friend to see if he can shed anymore light. I'm not entirely sure if that was a pun intended ;) :D

good point!

what about a counterweight or pantograph system?

years ago I used to have a Colortran antiG that was basically a telescopic cover over a wire rope and tension spring

Neater than a criss cross pantograph

Archived