Painting glass

topsy100

Hi all

Has anyone had any success with painting glass in 150w floods if so what did you use? I'm trying to change some floods to 'Blues' to use as wing lights, gel won't work as heat will melt it quickly. No budget so can't install a blue led which is what I would have liked to do

Cheers

The heat produced is epic - trying to paint / gel them down using any technology will be a phenomenal waste of time (I'm speaking as someone who's had to convert then trash a lot of halogen floods) - you can buy CFL & LED bulbs that retrofit in to common flood housings; they will be cool enough that you could GEL them down to blue. Failing that complete mains powered 10w LED floods can be purchased on ebay for £10 each including shipping - my honest advice would be to just buy a load of those as the time you will spend trying to convert any existing system will cost far more than that.

There are only three ways to do this:

a) Change the light source to something you can gel. (Theatrical tungsten, LED, CFL etc)

b) Change the light source to something natively blue. (LED etc)

c) Get blue dichroic glass. (Expensive)

No budget so can't install a blue led which is what I would have liked to do

Cheers

2 quid each:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-BLUE-48-5050-SMD-LED-Panel-Light-T10-Festoon-Dome-Adapter-Bulb-Lamp-DC-12V-/281905707425?hash=item41a2e3b9a1:g:qkYAAOSwT~9Wkn-o

Not reccomending vendor just type of panel, 5050 for brightness against 3528 or 1210

Wall wart or PSU in the flood housing to taste.

150w floods will get too hot and be far too bright. When dimmed enough there will be so little blue left in the warm glow that blue gel will be functionless. Many other things would be a better starting point, especially LEDs or golf ball tungsten lamps about 15w

http://www.lightingever.co.uk/12v-led-strip-light-300-3528-5m-blue.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwubK4BRC1xczKrZyj3mkSJAC6ntgrvV1_s1LjWd2C7pPD3h3-Z5MLXQdQqXM8Kqyc1_6iIRoCcDnw_wcB

Just one link from google. May need feeding with low volts.

Archived