Speaker Cable Extension

pete10uk

Morning

I have the task of moving a set of amps about 10m.

I'm not sure of the best way to treminate the cables. I have 26 x 1 pair 1.5mm cables to extend 10m. My thought was a large junction box with screw terminals but a search on Google hasn’t found anything nearly big enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

Would it be easier to use in-line barrel crimps to extend the cables? It takes up less space and each cable could be sleeved if needed.

If you do not need to individually gland each cable going into the box, perhaps a large adaptable box with a slot machined in each side and a large saddle clamp to secure the cable would be sufficient?

DIN Rail?

Especially if double deck terminals were used... but that may well be pricier than cable crimps!

With the number of connections my preference would be DIN rail mounted connectors of an appropriate size mount on rail in a box. I think you can mount Wago connectors and they are very good but perhaps not for this application.

• 1 month later...

Use a box, solder and heatshrink the connections. Or just put XLRs on the lines and Speakons on the cables.

Seriously? XLRs and Speakon? Totally apart from the fact that those connections will likely oxidise and give poor connection over time (even more likely with cheap connectors and not genuine Neutrik) those butt crimps linked to cost about $NZD 5 for a box of 100. I can't even buy one speakon plug for that....

Archived