One Man, Two Guvnors Flaming Dessert scene

d_korman

No doubt many BR members have seen the show. An article here is very interesting about the rehearsal process and the changes needed when touring various venues and moving from the Adelphi to the Haymarket, including changes in the script. Whilst understanding the point about not copying the original production, it would be interesting to know what is actually specified at this point in the licensed script, which is presumably what the licensee is required to reproduce, unless written permission to do otherwise is obtained.

So it's a flaming deSSert scene, not flaming deSert...

Thanks god for that. Whilst a flaming desert is do-able with flame bars and the like, a flaming dessert is a lot easier. It's a lot like doing a kebab van...

post-207-0-36000600-1452965468_thumb.jpg

...which was done with flame paste and (custom) pyro.

So it's a flaming deSSert scene, not flaming deSert...

Having not seen the production, I have been following this thread imagining a stage covered in sand with flames appearing and thinking on the lines of "Time to send for Red Adair". Sadly, a giant burning syllabub doesn't quite fit the vision.

Not being aware of the play, I'm glad we've got the deSSert out of the way. I thought this was a flaming desert, and was wondering about a whole stage on fire producing many KW of heat!

Having read the PDF of the National's production linked to above, it sounds to me like (in construction terms) making the bi-directional latching doors work reliably would be a bigger challenge than a bit of carefully constructed conflagration on a trolley. Other than the planning and paperwork, of course. Though the mind boggles about the experience of the trolley on the raked stage that had a desire to exit the production stage front and be on the audience side of the fourth wall; a flaming dessert in that situation would be an interesting test of the safety envelope.

Thanks god for that. Whilst a flaming desert is do-able with flame bars and the like, a flaming dessert is a lot easier. It's a lot like doing a kebab van...

post-207-0-36000600-1452965468_thumb.jpg

...which was done with flame paste and (custom) pyro.

Brian,

I sincerely hope that no kebabs were harmed during the making of this production?!

:)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't seen the scene but from the description the explosion is the bit thats going to be hard to make look realistic. Will just a flame work, how about a silk flicker flame? sorry I don't know the correct title for it.

Hi,

Does anyone know how the flaming dessert + fire extinguisher scene is done for the One Man, Two Guvnors UK & Ireland tour this March, and if the kit might be available for hire afterwards? We have a licensed local amateur production at the end of April and need to replicate this effect.

Thanks,

Moderation: I have edited the title and text above - it's a "dessert", not a "desert" - this caused some confusion...

Archived