Creating a cheap raised technical area

Skimble

Hello,

I work in a school that has practically no budget to do anything in the hall we use for productions. For the umpteenth time I've had issues with safeguarding equipment because I don't have anywhere safe to install or store it. I want to create a semi-permanent raised technical area at the back of the hall that will enable me to set up and leave sound and lighting equipment without every hall-user thinking they can move it, unplug it, dump stuff on it etc. What is the simplest and cheapest way of doing this? I need to create an area that's at least 3m wide and 1.5m deep and about 2m high.

Thanks,

Skimble

Not quite the right question I'm afraid.

1) Am I allowed to do this?

2) Can it be done safely?

3) How can this be done with 1&2 in mind?

4) What will it cost?

Of course it could be done, and there are lots of options... Steeldeck, 3x2 timber, scaffolding, etc.

When you say semi-permanent, what do you mean?

Can it be fixed to a wall or must it be free standing? 2m hight, but only 1.5 deep sounds to me as if it will need outriggers if free standing, especially if you're going to load the top of it with equipment.

Would building a cage/box/wall/barrier around your stuff and staying close to ground level be a possibility?

Thank you both.

I'm very keen on it being safe as it's me, my students and our equipment going up there, and I don't like things that wobble! Fixing it to the wall should be possible. The aim is to put something up that is likely to stay there for a long time, but creating something fully fixed into the fabric of the building is likely to be too expensive and too disruptive to hall use.

The height is necessary to enable the continued storage of stacks of chairs in the same location as I would have to put the technical area, although that has got me thinking about slightly different ways around some of that. I might be able to make something lower that the premises officer could live with...

The aim is to put something up that is likely to stay there for a long time, but creating something fully fixed into the fabric of the building is likely to be too expensive and too disruptive to hall use.

Can you qualify what you mean by that. A platform at that height and size will require decent wall fixings if it's not going to have outriggers.

If you are thinking of putting school students at 2m high it is not going to be cheap if it is also to be acceptably safe. You mention a premises officer and my first thoughts would be to brainstorm with that officer on what his/her requirements would be in view of your requirements. There will need to be compromise, I guarantee it.

Anything that is raised that high would need handrails and a means of safe access and, more importantly, safe egress in emergency. It might be better to use something akin to pipe and drape to hide the kit when not in use and keep it below four feet in height. I don't know though the premises officer, who knows the site, might suggest a workaround and where safety is concerned you can never cut corners.

The height is necessary to enable the continued storage of stacks of chairs in the same location

If you want to use the area underneath for storage then you'll not be able to brace the legs properly.which any sort of scaffold or timber construction would undoubtably require.

Easy to make, hard to even write the list of people and authorities that must approve it's concept, design and construction.

I'm thinking in terms of a HUGE flight case with lids that come off to see the stage through and lids for doors etc. Possibly on large load bearing wheels.

Make it door friendly in two pieces and door resistant in one piece then it can't get pushed into another room/outside.

Consider the appearance of the unit, and how to make it hirer friendly. -You can't hide hall with lights without hiring the lighting control.

Can you clarify one bit - what needs to be 2m high?

The floor of the raised area?

Or the highest bit of the whole thing - so the lip over which the techs will view the stage?

Unless there is a NEED for the deck floor to be that high I'd limit it to the second option. Assuming the school hall is flat, you don't need a 2m platform from which to run operations from - enough to give you clear line of site onto the stage should be plenty - so maybe go with a deck at just one metre high, with a build around it to a) guard the kit and b) allow perhaps for a lid to be constructed to lock away the desks should be fine.

And in my opinion, something of even that limited size will be fine as a free-standing timber construction. A sensible carpenter can knock up a 3 x 2 frame for the base, with minimal bracing needed at 1m high, then a 3 x 2 or even 2 x 2 framework for the body of the physical desk space, with storage cupboards underneath maybe for mic packs etc. A plywood fascia on 3 sides allowing for access one side or both, with a 200/300mm lip to hide stuff from Joe public and give something to fix the lid to.

That won't move without a half-dozen hefty rugby players pushing & pulling :)

Let's not make this a more complex job than it needs to be.

One other thing to take into account is that if you are running sound from up in a lofty perch, having your ears 2m above those of the audience isn't desperately helpful. Plus climbing up and down steps or a ladder every time something needs dealt with on stage will get wearing after a while.

It's not that difficult to get 10' x 5' sheets of ply. Just not from B&Q.

The one I built, which was about that size, but with a floor height of about 600mm, had several trap doors giving storage underneath for all sorts of things that are only needed occasionally. So no point in the larger sheets of ply.

So, following on from the sensible points made above, the agreed plan is to create a platform about two feet high, enabling level access from the upper hall that is three steps up from the main auditorium floor. It will be 6' deep and as wide as we can get away with - 16' is the current working width. Everything can be safely installed with covers fitted for everything to look after our equipment properly for the first time ever. :)

Thank you for your advice - it's led us to a safe and workable solution that will make a real difference to our small-scale technical department.

Archived