Getting power without a cable

Munro

We've got show in at the moment that uses a combination of the solutions mentioned to get power and data to three rotating trucks. There are mains cables running under a false floor to slip rings in the middle of each revolve mechanism. Wireless DMX is used to control the LED drivers, IEM receivers send audio to the speakers, and theres also a TV built into one of the trucks. I don't think there are any filament lamps on any of the trucks. However, as others have pointed out, even hiring the kit to do this kind of thing can get expensive quite quickly, let alone buying it all.

I reckon a few strings of those on a couple of channels on a radio dimmer could work rather well, and could be powered by a decent sized lead acid battery. Radio dimmer and transmitter isn't too horribly pricy to hire - I seem to recall hiring an RC4 transmitter and receiver from TPP for two weeks was about 60 quid or so. If that looks like an option Beverley at TPP will be able to get you prices - very helpful.

EDIT : formatting and spelling

Actually, as has been suggested, slim Li-Ion batteries could probably be secreted about the flat if lead acid is too bulky (burglar alarm batteries are not too big, though), and the dimmer is about the size of a matchbox so hiding that won't be hard.

I was thinking maybe a big computer UPS might be a solution. An hour's a long time though even if you have LED lamps in the festoon.

A UPS would probably be the easiest solution but I haven't yet encountered one that doesn't beep incessantly when running on battery.

I don't understand why you would use a UPS unless you were restricted to using mains voltage fittings. A UPS is never going to be as efficient as just a plain battery as it has the overhead of the inverter stage. Given that battery capacity is a key concern and that plenty of low voltage dimming and control options are available, for both LED and incandescent, why waste power in a voltage conversion?

I don't understand why you would use a UPS unless you were restricted to using mains voltage fittings. A UPS is never going to be as efficient as just a plain battery as it has the overhead of the inverter stage. Given that battery capacity is a key concern and that plenty of low voltage dimming and control options are available, for both LED and incandescent, why waste power in a voltage conversion?

Yes of course, I only suggested it because it sounded like a very simple low-tech solution might be required.

Live electrics on a scenery item is easy, and I suspect it happens often. First work out what power you need and for what time, work out how to put the power there and at what voltage. Discover it's impossible then re try all options til the impossible becomes the too expensive, then rework it all again til the, expensive becomes affordable and effective.

You can buy 12v LED lights on the internet easily. I don't know how you would attach them and whether they would look like festoons.

You can get a RGB controller that takes DMX and dims 12v, and you can get a wireless DMX system or possibly WiFi and ArtNet and E1.31. Look at Earnest Store and Ray Wu on Ali Express.

Archived