Core GCSEs

madferit101

Just a quick question. Would you consider employing someone who has not got what the state considers core GCSEs with grades C or above (or equivalent)I.e English, Maths and Science? If so why? Do you consider it on a case by case satus? Or do you not simply care?

As you go through career progression the first few bits matter less and less, however I have some immediate colleagues in my current non theatre employment who actually suffer a lot for lack of basic literacy skills, meaning can't read and write own name style problems.

I would be very suspicious of a 16/18 year old who did not have them. They would have to have a convincing explanation of why not AND demonstrate Literacy, Maths, Science at least at a similar level AND the ability to learn, otherwise they probably not be able to cope with blue room stuff.

"O" levels Hippy. Or, as some teachers would tell you, CSEs.

If you can't get a C at GCSE in Maths/Science/English you will struggle in a technical theatrical role. There may be mitigating circumstances, but I'd need the be very sure that they were valid, and a candidate was literate and numerate before they got to interview.

Archived