X32 audio quality?

BigYinUK

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Paulears - lolz - That was me exaggerating the difference, but that's the nearest way I could describe it.

@nb705 - Its definitely panned. Although the mixer's not here at the moment, I do have the showfile and I'm looking at it now.

@JPearce - If there is I can't see it on the X32 set up. That's definitely another thing to check.

Regards

Jon

Just reading through the replies here, and wondering if you have graphics/parametric over FOH. Quite possible ringing out for vox is deadening the sound of the keys. Putting vox graphic on a subgroup and run keys flat or flatter to house might sort your keyboard player's issues.

The bottom line is this: There are a lot of people using X32s now, in a wide variety of situations, with every type of amps and speakers, and if there was something "wrong" with the X32, we would all know about it by now.

One thought that jumps out that can be an immediate difference, is latency...

Chances are it'll settle down in a real live performance, but someone who constantly compares "amp" with "desk" perhaps isn't doing themselves any favours to help it all settle down, assuming there's no fault at play here.

On a psychological level, I've noticed it *can* cause a slight shift in perception of EQ and timing cues, as well as perceived dynamics, especially if it's in sub-5ms range. Some people seem to be really sensitive to it, regardless of the conventional or "engineering" logic and wisdom on such things. You'd think a guitarist or keyboardist wouldn't be worried by an extra 2'/60cm between themselves and their amp/monitor, but for some that timing difference is *huge*!

Just in case anyone is following this thread and its of any use - I'll report back our findings.

We tried the X32 very carefully and even with all the EQ and compression removed, there was a very slight degradation of the sound through the desk.

We used 2 different DI boxes and also going directly into the desk, and although the "change" was still there it was less noticeable with one of the DIs so possibly suggestive of a loading effect (12kohm input impedance on the X32 I believe).

We came to the conclusion that what we were hearing was a very very slight loss of harmonic quality within the sound. Very subtle and probably would be unnoticeable with a full band running.

One thing that was interesting to us but probably obvious to the more experienced was how fast the low cut filter came in. Set to 60Hz, by the time the frequency had hit 60Hz it had rolled off about 5dB. This was more than I had expected so with the low cut set to 100Hz a lot of the low end of the piano had disappeared. No doubt the low cut is specified somewhere in the documentation.

Although its *my* desk, I don't generally engineer myself these days :)

It begs the question as to whether one should use any low cut on keys (or maybe set to 30 Hz or similar)?

Regards

Jon

Archived