SuperSharpies burning through spansets

timmeh2

I didn't realise the Super Sharpy had that much higher a lamp rating. In that case scorching does become a much higher possibility.

Can I suggest we adopt a new testing system for lights based on standardised marshmallows where a light's mallow rating is based on the time taken to toast a marshmallow and the distance from the front of the lens where peak toasting occurred?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We couldn't use black marshmallows as it would make it difficult to detect subtle levels of browning. There are pink marshmallows available, but that might cause a problem with the large number of closeted gay technical crew with deep psychological problems.

So I think it would have to be the standard toasted white marshmallow test. Though God knows why people toast marshmallows in the first place, since they just taste the same and carry a high risk of heat induced tongue damage.

... a high risk of heat induced tongue damage.

Why did the hipster have a burnt tongue? Because he had his toasted marshmallow waaaay before it was cool.

If there's going to be a standard Sharpy toasting test, shouldn't it be based on, well, toast?

One slice of a standard white loaf measures the toastability and the evenness of the optics. Lovely even golden brown, hotspot in the middle or carbonised cremated halo round the outside? Bonus points for the face of Jesus/Buddha/Darth Vader (delete as appropriate, gobos are cheating)

Hmmm? If it ain't supposed to be pointed at anything less than 60 feet away maybe we need the TRS melt test rather than marshmallows or even thick white sliced?

F'rinstance; if one SS at X feet melts a power lead in Y minutes, how far is it to the nearest fire station?

Hi

Interesting conversation, glad to see that all the money we give to PRG is going to good use.

With regards to the issue, when using said fixtures I have nearly managed to burn through some litedeck, this would be about 5M from the fixture. This was during programming which might also be part of the problem. Slightly obliviously I left them pointing at the stage whilst building the palettes.

I won't be doing that again.

All the best

Timmeh

Slightly off topic, but I managed to get a Harlequin dance floor smouldering with a Robe Pointe at approx 5m trim height. (The only time in my life that I've even come close to setting the dance floor alighthttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived