Flying/Hanging Shure 55 microphone

Jonathan Mellor

Hi,

Working a show next week where the brief is for a 50s style mic to be flown in for one of the songs. Mic is a dummy mic as all cast are on headsets. I don't want to rely upon the XLR cable/connector to take the weight of a Shure Super 55 for an entire week run.

Current idea is to use 4mm black steel wire to hang the mic off one of the theatre counterweight bars but need a way of terminating the steel with a 3/8 or 5/8 screw to attach to the mic, or another way of getting a similar result. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions it would be much appreciated.

thanks

It is possible to get a 3/8" BSW eye bolt though they won't come cheap.

I've never actually seen or used one but Neutrik make an XLR (NC3FX-SPEC) with a grub screw which holds the mic in place somehow, whether this is only good for theft-proofing I don't know. You could then solder a strain wire straight into the XLR's terminals to keep that part of the chain secure

Roger Daltrey is well known for his careful use of microphones...

If this works for a whole Who concert, it'll work for a week hanging in the grid:

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/ItemImages/000004/rr0111-930_lg.jpeg

I'd use a prop Shure 55 (ie a gutted Chinese clone) and use the wire through a hole in to a crimp in the body, so there is no functional connector holding anything at all. The crimp being bigger than the hole the wire comes in through, that won't come apart in any fashion, even if cast swing on it.

Edit - beaten to it!

and whats the benefit over 15 seconds with tape or cable ties? thats all I'm struggling with.

if anything, the fact that there's nothing locking the screw in makes me think the danger of it spinning and undoing is far greater than any weight issues. The benefit of my above method is that whilst it's not quite as pretty, it's a solid connection to the body of the mic that is far less plausible to come undone. Also if you run the XLR through a pair of pulleys, you can lift and lower the mic without having to fly a bar in and out. Steel wire rope is horrible on the hands for hauling.

II've never actually seen or used one but Neutrik make an XLR (NC3FX-SPEC) with a grub screw which holds the mic in place somehow, whether this is only good for theft-proofing I don't know.

They're good for anti theft and stopping accidental unplugging,but don't add any extra strength to the locking mechanism. If fact it could be argued that if you over tighten them it's actually worse. Also, it would look wrong!

I've never actually seen or used one but Neutrik make an XLR (NC3FX-SPEC) with a grub screw which holds the mic in place somehow, whether this is only good for theft-proofing I don't know.

They're good for anti theft and stopping accidental unplugging,but don't add any extra strength to the locking mechanism. If fact it could be argued that if you over tighten them it's actually worse. Also, it would look wrong!

That's useful to know, thanks

I'd pass the wire through a mic stand thread adaptor (small to large thread - technical term there!) and then crimp a ferrule on it so it can't slip back through. Then screw through into the mic and profit.

Perhaps with a smear of locktite? I don't fancy that sort of lump (a good half pound) suspended over my head by a couple of cable ties....

To terminate the steel I would just crimp it.

But looking at some old school pics from boxing its much like the Daltrey mic and looped back and lots of tape. Bit of grey LX or even some 2 inch ali tape will cover it up. Does depend on what they are doing with it. While the Daltrey is a ###### tonne of tape and cable looped this is only a tincy bit and if they are yanking it about it may well come off.

http://www.boldbeautifulfan.com/bbimg/2010/dec/buffer1220.jpg

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Michael-Buffer.jpg

Archived