Equipment labels

Alec97

I've had some glue-lined heatshrink, and so long as you give it a good blast of hot-air, then the glue melts enough and forms a transparent layer under the heatshrink itself. It can just occasionally be a bit of a pain with barcoded items, especially if you get an air bubble trapped.

For cables, we used to use a lot of THIS sort of thing. They stay on well but can be removed and, because they have a colour code, you quickly learn the combination for all you common lengths of cable. There's an installation tool sold separately.

FYI, Canford also do kits but we rapidly worked out that there were certain numbers we needed a lot more of than others.

For gear, we used to pay for Traffolyte engraved markers for the big stuff--after a few years we found a cheap tool to do our own but my Googling so far has only found stupidly expensive high speed ones. We also paid a label company for hundreds of stick on metal foil logos that were, in theory, not removeable. These has a stock number that went up by one per label.

• 2 weeks later...

Texture-wise, that tape seems to be closely related to parcel tape. It'll be OK on power cables (3x2.5mm and above) and I've seen plenty of the big boys using it for such. However it would be bit nasty on mic cable, DMX cable, etc.

IS that not what whitelight or stage use for everything though ?

Texture-wise, that tape seems to be closely related to parcel tape. It'll be OK on power cables (3x2.5mm and above) and I've seen plenty of the big boys using it for such. However it would be bit nasty on mic cable, DMX cable, etc.

I was quite disappointed with this stuff - I agree it's like a thicker version of parcel tape and I found the colours to be poorly chosen, e.g. the 'red' is quite 'orangey' and the orange is nearly red so often difficult to differentiate between the two. I'll use up what I have - but I won't be buying any more.

Archived