Equipment labels

Alec97

Hi all,

I would like to label my cables with their length and my details like when you hire gear from the likes of stage electrics etc.

Secondly I would like to label my equipment eg movers/ pars etc with my details etc also like stage electrics hire stuff.

where do I order these from ? any recommendations :)

Alec

If it's just cables, self-print sticker paper should do fine, it's not great in it's own right but once you heat shrink it's fine! That protects the ink and the stick.

If you want something ready made I used these http://www.patlabelsonline.co.uk/pat-test-labels-c117/appliance-id-labels-for-pat-tests-c131/heavy-duty-personalised-asset-id-labels-with-barcode-choice-of-colours-p1727 , the problem is you can't really add the item name to the label. My choice would be to use something like this for barcodes, and thus asset tracking with your hire system; then use another identifying system for what the item is. With cables this can be coloured tape to denote length, with anything cased, a normal flightcase label will obviously do the trick.

avery do a silver label, which is generally very tough - print on it using a colour laser and you can then plonk them on kit.

Cable wise, we use the same labels, and some adhesive clear heatshrink. We used to use paper labels, but found after a time they fractured with the bending of the cable and looked poop.

This summer we'll be going through our cable stock and labelling everything. To avoid having to remove connectors (for heat shrink) we're going to secure all the labels with a couple of wraps of clear dance floor tape. We use Brother P-touch labels.

To avoid having to remove connectors (for heat shrink) we're going to secure all the labels with a couple of wraps of clear dance floor tape. We use Brother P-touch labels.

In a previous life I have tried that, over time the dance floor tape will come off, leaving a sticky / gooey mess.

Many years ago I had some clear heat shrink (not adhesive thought) that would shrink enough to go past an XLR - something like an 8:1 ratio. I think we had a larger size that worked for socca too. I think it came from RS, but I can't find it now and although it was pricy, I'd like to get some more if anybody knows where....

Failing that, my method for labels on already terminated cable is to put the label and heat shrink on the XLR itself.

3:1 shrink will go over the inner part of an XLR, so you need to remove the shell but no desoldering required. The only thing to make sure is that the boot of the XLR will fit back over the heatshrink once you're done.

3:1 heatshrink is significantly more expensive than the more common 2:1. I dread to think what 8:1 would cost! CPC don't do clear 3:! but RS and Farnell do.

Archived