Best way to make D size holes?

Ashley R

Hi all

Was just looking for people's opinions on the best way to go about making D size holes in various materials? (Say wood, plastic and sheet metal).

My current attempts all seem to look quite horrible, and it's never as neat as I would like it.

I know the hole size is 24mm, but I have only been able to get my hands of 25mm sized bits.

Thanks in advance for all your tips and tricks.

Ash

Bench press / punch is lovely if you can afford it. I used to have one from RS which I inherited, with punches for Neutrik connectors which pre-punched pilot holes for the screws as well as the main hole. There was an IEC punch as well, with screw holes.

Unfortunately it stayed with my previous business, and I cannot now find anything similar.

The punches are the simplest, and it's amazing the difference a little oil on the threads make - the only downside to them on thinner sheets is that they distort the panel as they lunch through. Better on the thicker ones. I got mine years ago from Canford,

I use the Q-Max punch - and this is the easiest one for a clean hole. I use a Canford Audio XLR template and mark out and centre punch the fixing holes and the main hole prior to drilling.

I have also used the stepped drill - which requires a good drill (preferably bench drill) and for the workpiece to be clamped.

I've also used a cone cut - which really needs a suitably sized washer to act as a depth stop if you want to avoid the hole going too big.

I use a 24mm spade bit that I got from Bunnings... and very very carefully line up and manually drill the screw holes.

actually I think even 24mm is a shade too big... it is officially an imperial size?

But most of my work is in plastic though

Oh? Fair enough. My experience is that 24mm is slightly sloppy . From a thread on prosoundweb:

Re: Hole punch for Neutrik 'D' size holes

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:23 pm »The specification is a 23.80mm (0.9370") diameter hole.A 15/16" hole is 0.9375" and would be about as close as you could get without getting something custom.John

:)

Oh? Fair enough. My experience is that 24mm is slightly sloppy . From a thread on prosoundweb:

Re: Hole punch for Neutrik 'D' size holes

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:23 pm »The specification is a 23.80mm (0.9370") diameter hole.A 15/16" hole is 0.9375" and would be about as close as you could get without getting something custom.John

:)

From the drawings on the Neutrik website, the panel cut out is specified as 24.00mm or 0.945".

I would definitely use a sheet metal punch, like the Q-Max range, if I had to make holes in metal. They produce a neat, round hole. Be aware that they do not last forever though.

Archived