New Midas 'Something' at Namm

smalljoshua

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to hold my breath until I get a chance to use them side by side, but I agree low cost hardware is high on my list of gripes with the X32, shortly followed by the 8 channel limit.

Josh

8 channel limit?

edited to add - just twigged you mean selecting inputs in batches of 8 and then individually over riding?

I don't think that's going to change - if I am reading everything correctly this is the X32 but with midas support, better faders. knobs and sample rates but otherwise identical to the x32 and even using the same software.

So I know we're just getting out heads around the M32 but I'm already wondering if they'll do the same as the X32 range and bring out smaller siblings like a compact or rack, or does that not forfil the 'pro tour' aspect of the Midas brand?

• 5 weeks later...

I have just updated a live tender document to swap out the X32 for the M32, the extra cost is going to be worth it for the reduction of acceptance from visiting engineers to befroe show instead of the "wow, I was really surprised by his" afterwards!!

On a separate note, there is a certain private equity company probably crying into their champagne glasses right now; perhaps the purchase of the other british desk manuafacturer last year wasn't quite so clever now that the M32 is about to put serious pressure on A&H; Soundcraft & Yamaha in the sub £10k category?.............

Not long before the X32 came out, I had a discussion with someone from another desk manufacturer. They were convinced that the X32 was some sort of loss leader, because they couldn't conceive of how it could be built for the price Behringer were pitching it at.

I wouldn't be surprised if several desk manufacturers leave the market soon. Margins must have been slashed and how someone like Presonus is going to compete with the next generation of Behringer stuff is beyond me.

I wouldn't be surprised if several desk manufacturers leave the market soon. Margins must have been slashed and how someone like Presonus is going to compete with the next generation of Behringer stuff is beyond me.

Presonus aren't competing at the moment, a digital desk without motorized faders I mean come on...

I doubt anyone is concerned about their investment in A&H, they are competing in the market below the X32/M32 with the Qu Series and above with the GLD and iLive series.

The biggest problem A&H seem to have is that they are not carried by full service hire companies. If want to hire a 48+ channel digital desk then I can easily hire Yamaha or Digico or even Avid. I can't easily hire A&H iLive or indeed Soundcraft Si or Vi.

I will not be sad to see the X32/M32 kill of things like the Yamaha LS9, the entire Soundcraft Si Expression and Si Compact series, the Presonus Studio Live Series and so on but in order threaten A&H or Soundcraft seriously Music group would have to eat in to the profit margin on the Midas Pro series desks I don't see that happening.

Presonus aren't competing at the moment, a digital desk without motorized faders I mean come on...

I doubt anyone is concerned about their investment in A&H, they are competing in the market below the X32/M32 with the Qu Series and above with the GLD and iLive series.

The biggest problem A&H seem to have is that they are not carried by full service hire companies. If want to hire a 48+ channel digital desk then I can easily hire Yamaha or Digico or even Avid. I can't easily hire A&H iLive or indeed Soundcraft Si or Vi.

I will not be sad to see the X32/M32 kill of things like the Yamaha LS9, the entire Soundcraft Si Expression and Si Compact series, the Presonus Studio Live Series and so on but in order threaten A&H or Soundcraft seriously Music group would have to eat in to the profit margin on the Midas Pro series desks I don't see that happening.

I heard a rumour the other day that yamaha would launch a ls9 replacement within the next two months

I heard a rumour the other day that yamaha would launch a ls9 replacement within the next two months

Yamaha have a planned, long term route map for their digital desk products. On the plus side, it gives product longevity backed up with quite serious R&D. On the negative side (from Yamaha's viewpoint), it means that smaller, more nimble companies can bring products to market that are more up to date, have responded to market and technology changes and (usually) are cheaper.

I'm sure Yamaha have been planning the LS9 replacement for years. The new desk will no doubt be good, but I suspect that it will struggle to match the price/feature ratio of its competitors....

I have just updated a live tender document to swap out the X32 for the M32, the extra cost is going to be worth it for the reduction of acceptance from visiting engineers to befroe show instead of the "wow, I was really surprised by his" afterwards!!

I'm not convinced about all this. I suspect any "no-Behringer" engineer would just extend his exclusion list to "no-Behringer, no M32", as it's easy to see the M32 as an X32 with a different case/pres/faders - which may not be enough for them.

I'm sure Yamaha have been planning the LS9 replacement for years. The new desk will no doubt be good, but I suspect that it will struggle to match the price/feature ratio of its competitors....

Quite. Behringer have raised expectations so that an LS9 replacement surely couldn't sell unless it had scribble strips & VCAs for a start. And then there's price - which would have to come down a long way from LS9 level to feel worth paying more than an X32. Surely?

....And then there's price - which would have to come down a long way from LS9 level to feel worth paying more than an X32. Surely?

So if it's well featured and reasonably priced, The CL series desks will start looking far too expensive and superfluous....!

Archived